The Daily Deac is at the end of the Things to Look Forward to This Fall series, and what is left? Today isn’t about an event or a place or a thing, it is about the feeling of being back at Wake Forest as the semester begins. And we’ll try to project some ideas, in the style we like to do called “Five Senses.”
- Lots of upperclass students hugging and smiling hello as they move back to campus and reunite with friends
- Freshmen traveling in packs for the first few days
- Lines to buy books and people carrying large packages of same. Feel bad for the science majors; their textbooks are always enormous
- The start-of-semester student uniform: tshirts, shorts, flip flops, cellphones
- Frisbee on the Quad, or people studying on the grass. Lots of outdoor pursuits.
- People sitting on the walls and decks of the residence hall lounges. There could be guitars, or grilling, or gatherings.
- Joggers, walkers, and runners
- People talking as they walk on campus together
- Phone calls to moms, dads, significant others
- Ordering food in Subway, Benson, and all the other eateries
- Roars from intramural games in progress
- Mostly English, but occasional conversations in foreign languages (frequently Spanish and Chinese)
- the beehive buzz sound of a very full Farrell Hall Living Room
- The subtle, delicious scent of drying tobacco leaves from the plants nearby (but only on humid days). This is a smell your kids will forever associate with Wake Forest, I can promise you that.
- Fried food in the Benson Center (Chick Fil A, I’m looking at you)
- Fresh cut grass anywhere there is green space
- Freshly showered and perfumed girls on their residence halls
- The strong waft of coffee as you enter the ZSR Starbucks
- The smell of old books as you move from the Starbucks into the library stacks
- the first sip of a ZSR Starbucks – and it is delicious
- the crispy edge of a make your own waffle at the Pit’s waffle station
- a perfectly cooked omelet that has all your favorite ingredients in it
- the salty/sweet and delicious late night food runs from Cook Out, Krispy Kreme, delivery pizza
- tailgate food – depending on where you tailgate (and the game time), it could be BBQ, fried chicken, sausage or ham biscuits. None of it healthy but all of it perfectly suited to a ball game
- Like there is a lot of energy on campus. Especially on a Friday night, the electricity is palpable.
- Warm. It’s hot and sunny.
- Glad to be back.