Today is Veterans Day- and I want to say a special thank you to all the military families in the Daily Deacdom. My late P’92 dad was a Marine, and though he did not serve for more than a couple of years, I have heard his stories of service and the sacrifices our military makes. I am also cognizant that the families of our servicepeople serve in their own ways too. Thank you to all our military Deacs and to our ROTC cadets who will one day serve.

A tidbit or two for our first-year families today. First up is information about the Kemper Scholars program:

The Kemper Scholars program combines scholarship aid, mentorship by James S. Kemper Foundation staff, and paid summer professional internship opportunities. The program’s goal is to help first-year students with an interest in a career in business to develop leadership and professional skills through experience. Students planning to major in business, math, economics, and data analysis are encouraged to apply. There is a 3.25 GPA requirement. Details here.

Also as always, Letters So Dear and this weeks Message for First Year Families is about having your Deacs home again at Thanksgiving (which might be good for families of all years). Speaking of Thanksgiving, while most of our Deacs will head home for Thanksgiving, not all will. Those who stay on campus need to plan ahead to be aware of which dining venues are open when. See this for details and make plans as needed: Thanksgiving 2019 dining hours and locations.

I had a Daily Deac scheduled for Friday when I was flying back from my business trip, and it failed to post somehow, so I will reschedule it for one day this week. For now, happy to be back in fabulous W-S. Was out yesterday and the trees are at their absolute peak, it seems. The red maples are just stunning right now.

Make it a great week, Deac families!

— by Betsy Chapman, Ph.D. (’92, MA ’94)