I mentioned this Meet A Deac subject a couple of weeks ago because she is engaged in a research project about Wake families’ perceptions of communications of COVID (thank you to everyone who took the time to complete her survey!) Today I am pleased to introduce you to my colleague in the Office of Family Engagement, Anna Marie Carr-Reinhard (’12, MA ’22).

Anna Marie Carr-Reinhard of the Office of Family Engagement

Anna Marie! Thank you so much for sharing your story today, as well as for your research. I can’t wait to see what the results bring! Let’s start at the beginning: tell me your job title and how long you’ve been at Wake. My title is Director, Office of Family Engagement, and I have worked at Wake Forest for six years.

But you have been associated with Wake longer than that, both as an alumna and a current grad student. Tell me a little about educational path. I received my BA from Wake Forest in 2012; my major was French and my minor was African Studies. Right now I am pursuing my MA in Communication here at Wake Forest, with an anticipated graduation date of May 2022.

How would you describe your job in layperson’s terms? I work on engagement efforts for parents and families of Wake Forest students. This includes directing the New Student Receptions program for incoming students and families during the summer before Orientation, coordinating in-person and virtual events and programs, and managing the Parents’ Council volunteer board. I have the honor of working very closely with you, Betsy, on communications and other engagement offerings and resources for our parents and families (so true! and thank you!) I am also a lower division adviser and love working with a fantastic group of first- and second-year students.

Speaking of students, what advice would you give them if they asked you? Use the resources that are available to you. The smartest, most successful Wake Forest students (and staff!) aren’t the ones who do everything themselves. They are the ones who know where to go for support and partnership, and who leverage those resources often. This goes the other way too: look for those times when you can be a good partner or otherwise support a peer, classmate, or colleague.

Flip the switch now and tell me what you’d offer as advice for families. Listen to Betsy 🙂 It’s what I do… (LOL!)

We all faced challenges during the pandemic. What would you say challenged you the most? Losing almost all semblance of work/life balance or boundaries.

What would you say you like best about working at Wake? As a Winston-Salem native and lifelong Wake Forest fan, having the opportunity to support the work of this institution and our community of students, faculty, staff, alumni, parents, families and friends is a dream job!

the quad on a sunny day

Since you are a native and have such a long association with Wake, do you have a favorite place on campus? The Quad on a sunny day!

Hard to argue that choice. There is nothing like a sunny Quad. Ready for the bonus questions? Hit me!

children's board book "Goodnight moon"

Book(s) you’re reading now: There are two books that I read, in their entirety, DAILY. They are: Time for Bed and Goodnight Moon. I have a 10-month-old daughter (WFU class of 2043!) who loves to hear them every night! [Can I brag that your sweet girl won the baby crawling race at halftime during a men’s basketball game? 10 months old and already winning prizes!]

band The Avett Brothers

Favorite music/genre/band? I love country music! The Avett Brothers are my favorite band.

the Office - NBC tv show

Movies/TV/Netflix, etc. that you love: I could watch nearly any episode of The Office approximately 100 times and still laugh.

Website you frequent: Wordle!

Amish cinnamon rolls from Lavender and Honey bakery

Guilty pleasure: Anything from Lavender and Honey Kitchen.

Introvert or extrovert? 100% extrovert.

Something most people don’t know about you: I am an avid hobbyist and enjoy being a member of the Wake Forest Flute Choir.

Wake Forest University hosts its annual Lovefeast celebration in Wait Chapel on Sunday, December 4, 2011. The Lovefeast, a Moravian Christmas tradition, brings together members of the Wake Forest and Winston-Salem communities.

What question didn’t I ask that you want to answer? “What is your favorite Wake Forest tradition?” I love all of the WFU traditions and high recommend everyone affiliated with Wake Forest participate in them as they are able! I would say that my favorite is the Lovefeast, which is a beautiful service held at the holidays, bringing together the Winston-Salem and Wake Forest communities, paying homage to centuries of Moravian tradition and bringing our focus to what is important during a very hectic time. PS – it is livestreamed every year, so parents and families can participate from afar! 

Thank you, Anna Marie, for all you do in the Office of Family Engagement to help our families feel engaged and informed, as well as your work with students!

As a reminder, read past Meet A Deacs here.