So earlier this week, I talked about “comparison is the thief of joy.” We’ll close this week with a line from one of Mr. Daily Deac’s all time favorite bands:

You can’t always get what you want.  But if you try sometimes you might find you get what you need” – the Rolling Stones

Normally at this time of year, our first-year students (and their families) can be experiencing what my P’92 refers to as agita over their class schedule. Some classes they wanted were closed, or they did not get the time they wanted, or the professor they wanted. And it feels like a Very Big Deal to have that disappointment.

But sometimes not getting what you want is a blessing. You just don’t realize it.

Whether you are the family member of an incoming ’23 or a ’20 who will graduate next year, there are going to be times where your Deacs don’t get what they want. The very act of not getting what we want gives us an opportunity to consider how we react, how we rebound, and how we find alternative pathways. Like so many of life’s lessons, it is not fun, but perhaps necessary.

As parents and loved ones, how we react to our kids’ disappointments can either help exacerbate the disappointment, or help them build resilience. When I have those moments with my own Class of ’27, I pray for discernment to help me choose my reaction wisely.

experience is the hardest kind of teacher. It gives you the test first and the lesson afterward.