Who else out there is still reveling in the Women’s World Cup victory?  I spent the evening with a couple of other WFU alumni/staff families and we were having a rollicking good time watching the US team and their amazing performance over Japan.  Way to go, ladies!

And today there is other great news to celebrate: Wake Will, our capital campaign, has reached the $500 million mark – ahead of schedule!  President Hatch sent this message today to all students, faculty, and staff.  Parents and families, you have played a huge role in Wake Will, so we want to be sure you see the message and hear our profound thanks for all you are doing for Mother So Dear.

WL poteat 2WL Poteat 1That’s celebrating our present and future Wake Forest.  Here’s a blast from the past of Wake Forest.  A colleague sent me these pictures, taken in Yanceyville, of the marker for the ancestral home of William Louis Poteat.  Dr. Poteat was an 1877 graduate of Wake Forest and its president from 1905-1927.  He was a professor of biology and a devout Baptist, and is best known for his defense of the teaching of evolution during a time when the topic was extremely controversial among scholars and theologians.

Finally, an article from Slate has been sent to me by a number of folks today and I thought I would share it.  This might be a controversial one, so brace yourselves, Deac families.  This is an article that is excerpted from How to Raise an Adult: Break Free of the Overparenting Trap and Prepare Your Kid for Success by Julie Lythcott-Haims (the NYT Book Review of same was shared here a week or two ago).  The article is called “Kids of Helicopter Parents are Sputtering Out” and the subtext is that college-age depression is tied to overparenting (there are some studies that show correlations).

I’m a parent myself, and I share this not to point fingers or lay blame (lord knows I hover over my Class of ’27 at times).  But because this is in the news, and because I suspect we share a keen interest in the healthy development of college students, I wanted to offer this article as food for thought.  None of us like to see our kids struggle, but the data seems to show that those college students who have to muddle through things in a more free-range fashion fare better (again, our Stop, Drop, and Roll method).

I wonder what students would say about this article and its premise.

— by Betsy Chapman