In this Issue:

• P’28 and ’28 messages
  • Business professor wins award for work-family research on invisible load
  • Great baseball draft news
  • Program for Leadership and Character newsletter

Happy Tuesday, Deac families. There is some good weather news on the horizon: after a string of impossibly hot and dry upper 90s days (where the heat index was well into the 100s), tomorrow the projected high will be a mere 94, and then will drop back into the 80s until just about month end. Plus we are projected to get some badly-needed rain. I hope it brings W-S some relief!

Let’s get right to the news!

P’28 and ’28 messages

You know what Tuesday means: we share the Weekly P’28 update and the corresponding ’28 student message that went out yesterday, as well as a ’28 message that went out last Friday while I was on PTO.

This week’s P’28 message focuses on the changing roles of families and students. This is a subject near and dear to my heart, since our family had to go through the new college student transition this time last year. (And if I am honest, those adjustments in family roles continue to evolve even as my student is about to start sophomore year.)

Business professor wins award for work-family research on invisible load

I was excited to read that Julie Wayne, Professor and David C. Darnell Presidential Chair in Principled Leadership at the School of Business, has been named the 2024 recipient of the Rosabeth Moss Kanter Award for Excellence in Work-Family Research. Her research examines the invisible family load:

“The Kanter Award, presented by the Center for Families at Purdue University and the Boston College Center for Work & Family, celebrates the best work-family research articles published during a calendar year. Selected articles represent the forefront of research and offer significant potential to influence future studies and impact workplace practices….

Wayne’s award-winning paper, ‘Who’s Remembering to Buy the Eggs? The Meaning, Measurement, and Implications of Invisible Family Load,’ published in the Journal of Business and Psychology, was selected from over 2,500 work-family articles.”

If you are not familiar with the concept of the invisible load, it is an interesting one (and my standard disclaimer, every person can draw their own conclusions about it of course). Julie Wayne’s research found some potential benefits to that load, which I was intrigued to see. You can read the full story.

Great baseball draft news

For the baseball fans among us, you probably already know that the Major League Baseball draft was this past weekend. If you were not glued to the action, I am happy to report that dear old Wake Forest became the second program in MLB draft history to have three players selected in the Top 10. Go Deacs!

Program for Leadership and Character newsletter

Many parents and families have told me how much they hope that their students spend time thinking about issues of leadership, character, and ethics in college. While the learning that takes place in the classroom is certainly central to the purpose of college, there is additional learning that takes place through campus events, getting to hear other people’s perspectives and experiences, and thinking deeply about who we are and what matters to us.

In that respect, we have a tremendous campus resource in our Program for Leadership and Character. I read their most most recent e-newsletter and came away so impressed with what the program is doing, and its impact on students. If this interests you, enjoy!