In this Issue:

• University Chaplain named
  • Parking information for first-year students, sophomores, residential students (i.e., living on campus), and Deacon Place residents
  • Article with Rebecca Alexander on women in STEM
  • ’28 Weekly Message (to students) and Project Wake

Today is a bit of a jambalaya day in the Daily Deac – we’re throwing a lot of stuff in the proverbial pot and seeing what kind of goodness we can make 🙂

University Chaplain named

Some big news hit my inbox today and I wanted to share it with you:

“Following a national search, Reverend Chris Donald has been named University Chaplain effective August 12. Donald comes to Wake Forest from Vanderbilt University, where he served as the university chaplain for the last five years, leading a multi-faith approach to serving the needs of students, faculty and staff. Having also worked at Millsaps College and the University of Virginia, Donald brings nearly 25 years of service to caring for communities and helping individuals explore their place in the world.”

Read the full story. We look forward to working with Reverend Donald and welcoming him into our community!

Parking information for first-year students, sophomores, residential students (i.e., living on campus), and Deacon Place residents

My friends in the office of Transportation and Parking Services have been working on upcoming vehicle registration, which will take in early August. If your student has plans to register a car, they should take note of the following links to info based on their class year:

First-Year Students

Sophomores

Resident Students (typically juniors and seniors who live on campus but not at Deacon Place)

Residents of Deacon Place

NOTE: they are still working on the registration info for commuter students (i.e., students living off campus) and graduate/professional students. I will share those when I have info.

Article with Rebecca Alexander on women in STEM

I saw this article last week about one of my favorite people at Wake, Rebecca Alexander. Rebecca is Professor of Chemistry, Associate Dean for Research and Community Engagement, and Director of Wake Downtown. She is also a mentor and adviser, not just to students, but even to staff: in her spare time, Rebecca is a talented marathoner and she was the first person I turned to when I was thinking of trying a half-marathon and needed encouragement.

This article talks about how she got her start in science, and it also reveals some of what makes her such a treasured member of our campus community: the perspective she brings to her students and meets them where they are:

“‘Sometimes in academics there is a feeling that we must reproduce ourselves,’ Alexander explains. ‘If you don’t go onto a PhD and become an academic, you’re not a success. But there are more ways that people can succeed and lots of places where you can be successful.’ 

Rather than coach students to continue to climb the academic ladder, Alexander encourages her students to take a look at all the paths that could include what they’re passionate about–maybe it’s medical school or getting a doctorate, but sometimes it’s looking into other STEM careers like science writing or genetic counseling that use other skills alongside their scientific know-how. 

‘Most students will never win a Nobel Prize or set the world on fire with a scientific discovery, but take a look at how they are still participating in science,’ Alexander says. ‘How are they interacting and caring for people, making science more accessible to everybody? Those are equally important endeavors.’” 

It’s a great story about a wonderful person. Hope you enjoy it.

’28 Weekly Message (to students) and Project Wake

Every Monday, our incoming ’28 students get a message with key info and details. A lot of the time I don’t share these until Tuesday (when I share the P’28 version) but I am ahead of schedule today 🙂 so you can read the student message if you wish.

And I was reminded to share this with our P’28s to encourage your students to consider Project Wake:

“Project Wake is a great way for incoming first-years to make friends and discuss a book everyone wants to read! Sign up today for meaningful conversations with professors and peers!”

New students can register here.