It’s Monday – which means it’s time for another Meet A Deac! Today it’s my pleasure to introduce you to Mark Anderson of Communications and External Relations.

Wake Forest assistant vice president for strategic communications, Mark Anderson

Thanks for agreeing to do a Meet A Deac with me, Mark. Before we get formally started, I’ll offer the editorial disclosure that you are my supervisor, so I better get this right 😉

In all seriousness, please tell me your title and how long you’ve worked at Wake. My title is Assistant Vice President, Strategic Communications (News, Social and Digital) in Communications & External Relations (CER), which is a part of University Advancement. I started on May 21, 2008, two days after Commencement that year, so that makes it 14 years here.

Can you share a bit about your educational background? I graduated from UNC (I know, I know…) with a degree in Journalism and Mass Communications.

In laypersons terms, how would you describe your job? I guide several teams that tell the story of Wake Forest, as well as performing key roles in many aspects of University communications. Among other things, the digital team oversees the content management system that runs the majority of websites on campus; the social team handles content on WFU’s main social media accounts; the news team writes stories, manages external media and handles crisis communications; and you talk to our parents and families. Of course, many other things are going on under those umbrellas.

What would you like people to know about your job and your department? Trying to communicate everything to everyone in a way that is relevant, timely and on point is never an easy job. I want people to know that this department is full of dedicated professionals who know Wake Forest, love its mission and are focused every day on how to share the University’s messages in the most helpful ways possible. We may not always get it “right” – however you’d like to define that – but the effort is always there in CER.

What do you like best about working here? Day to day, it’s the people. I feel like the relationships that I’ve built here are unlike those at any other place I’ve worked. I appreciate the level of respect shared across this campus. In a larger sense, it’s that my work has a purpose I can get behind: education and Pro Humanitate. How can you beat that?

Since you work in the realm of sharing key messages, what advice would you give students if they asked you? When I talk to or read about Wake Forest students, I usually end up feeling as though they should give me advice! They truly are amazing in what they are accomplishing. I think if I look back at myself as a college student, my advice would be to take advantage of every opportunity to keep broadening your perspective. Your time in college is like no other in your life to get exposed to people, viewpoints, great conversations, art, culture, etc. Go to everything you can, even if you’re not sure it’s something you’ll like.

What advice would you give to parents and families if they asked? I would urge families to relax. I know, I’m a parent and that can be difficult, but these students are amazing. Support them, but let them solve their own problems, have their own tough conversations. Encourage them to try new things and support what may seem like tangents to you. They’ll find their way.

What’s your favorite place on campus? Well, I love the balcony on Reynolda Hall facing Hearn Plaza on a nice day (that’s one of my favorites too). Lately, since I’ve been working from home a lot, I love the energy of the Wellbeing Center in the mornings when I go to work out. The balcony on Reynolda Hall overlooking the Quad

Time for the bonus questions!

Book(s) you’re reading now, and/or podcasts you are listening to: I just finished some excellent books: Leaving Atlanta by Tayari Jones and City of Thieves by David Benioff. I’m currently reading the well-researched Janis: Her Life and Music by Holly George-Warren. In podcasts, Hit Parade and Broken Record for music, as well as Radiolab from NPR. I also grew up in the 1980s fascinated by the art of professional wrestling, so I listen to podcasts by a manager from that era, Jim Cornette. On YouTube, Rick Beato on music. Book cover for Leaving Atlanta

Favorite band/musician: It’s a cop out, but I’m an “I love all music” kind of guy. As an ’80s kid, I have plenty of love for hair metal (Guns ‘n Roses, Mötley Crüe), U2, REM, the Replacements and all that the ’80s brought us, and I’m also a Deadhead and love the Rolling Stones. My wife and I have seen the Avett Brothers more than 20 times in concert, and we camp at Merlefest every year. Music and the live music experience have always been a big factor in my life. Band - The Avett Brothers

Favorite movies/tv/streaming shows, etc.: My movie answer is always The Blues Brothers, perhaps influenced by growing up in Chicago and my love of music. My streaming goes all over the place from the MCU (with my son) to British baking to Stranger Things, Umbrella Academy, and Locke & Key, to lots and lots of documentaries. Scene from the movie The Blues Brothers

Website(s) you frequent: Well, all the WFU sites, of course! Then, probably ESPN and the ESPN and Yahoo! fantasy football and baseball sites to check on how my teams are doing. In my apps, probably Goodreads and Untappd because I have an obsession with logging things.

What brings you joy? The Cubs winning the 2016 World Series! Oh yeah, and my family and travel (mountains and/or a music festival) and a good craft beer. I also enjoy that I can still play competitive softball twice a week. Chicago Cubs winning the 2016 World Series

Introvert or extrovert? Introvert, but I definitely can be extroverted when I feel like I’m in my element.

Something most people don’t know about you? I had a former life as a sports reporter and editor where I got to do a lot of amazing things such as interview people like Michael Jordan and cover Final Fours, bowl games, the Masters, NASCAR races and NBA playoff games, among other things. I covered the expansion Carolina Panthers’ first free-agent workouts and signings many years ago and led staffs that won national awards for our work. I love what I do now, but I’m proud of my journalism training and the work I did.

Many thanks to you, Mark, for being this week’s Meet A Deac, and for all you do to keep our campus community informed and enthusiastic about Wake Forest. And also for being a great boss!!

Reminder: you can read past Meet A Deacs here.