It’s nearly opening night for This Girl Laughs, This Girl Cries, This Girl Does Nothing (directed by Brook Davis): “Join us for the charming story of three sisters who embark on fantastical journeys as they grow up and follow their dreams; there are sword fights, adventures at sea, and one very angry badger.” Tickets are $15 adults, $12 senior citizens, and $7 students and can be purchased online at theatre.wfu.edu or at the Box Office by calling (336) 758-5295 (children under 12 get a complimentary ticket if they call the box office – offer not available online). Show dates are: September 16, 22, & 23 at 7:00 pm; September 17 & 24 at 11:00 am; September 18 & 25 at 2:00 pm – all on the Tedford Stage, Scales Fine Arts Center. Our Theatre productions are always incredibly well done, so hopefully your Deacs can catch a show.

If movies are more your Deac’s jam, Reynolda House Museum of American Art is hosting its final Cinema Under the Stars on September 16th on their main lawn. They will be showing the musical La La Land. Your Deacs can bring a blanket or a lawn chair and enjoy a beautiful evening at Reynolda House.

The Intercultural Center and Organization of Latin American Students (OLAS) invite you to observe and celebrate Latinx Heritage Month from September 15th-October 15th. We encourage you to participate in the wide variety of activities featured on this year’s event calendar that uplift and illustrate Latinx culture, history, and issues. See the calendar of events. I am told that during Family Weekend, there will be a Somos Familia brunch; more details on that as I get them.

There is a special celebration at Homecoming this weekend, and that is the 10th anniversary of our LGBTQ+ Center. There will be tons of things going on as part of Wake Pride, so any interested alumni families or current students can join in on the festivities!

I saw many of your students last night as they arrived for Face to Face with Jon Meacham and former President Bush. Because I am having some surgery next week, I am banned from indoor events at present (to avoid risk of illness), so I worked outdoors and helped direct ticketholders into the Coliseum. I heard it was a great event.

In other news, we have Wake Forest in the News for Sept. 5-11, and our students got their WFU Should Know this afternoon.

Last up today, I have a plea for assistance. One of my counterparts at another school is working on their dissertation, which focuses on first-generation college students’ experiences of family support both during and after college, and the implications of that support for student success and wellbeing. If you are the parent of first-generation undergraduate college student who is currently enrolled or recently graduated from college, you are eligible to participate in this survey.

I would not have been able to get my Ph.D. without the support of college parents and families who were kind enough to take my survey. Eligible families can help advance our collective understanding of first-generation parent/family engagement by taking this survey. Thanks for your consideration.

–– by Betsy Chapman, Ph.D. (’92, MA ’94)

September 15, 2022