My friends in the Office of Personal and Career Development have been hard at work finding ways to support our students remotely – and they have shared this information for all of you (and your Deacs!)
Begin by clicking the video below to watch a message from Andy Chan, Vice President of Innovation and Career Development.
The Office of Personal & Career Development wants to assure you that their team is here to support your student as they navigate their internship & job search process during this highly uncertain and challenging time.
A frequent question many have asked is “what’s the current job market like for college graduates?” The OPCD is closely monitoring the situation and staying connected to our employer partners. The reality is that the market is in a highly fluid state and many organizations are in a wait-and-see mode. Some are proceeding with hiring plans, some are postponing start dates, and others have canceled their summer internship programs.
While this uncertainty can be very disappointing and discouraging for students, the OPCD wants you to know that they are ready to help. What is most important right now is that students stay hopeful, stay connected, and stay actively engaged in the process.
Here’s how the OPCD can help:
- Career Coaching – Career coaches available to meet with students virtually to provide ongoing support and to help them develop a tailored plan based on their unique situation.
- New appointment requests can be scheduled directly through Handshake or by calling their office at 336.758.5902.
- Virtual office hours are available weekdays from 3-5pm EST. Students can speak with a coach and other students by connecting through Zoom.
- Note: The OPCD can help students who have had a full-time job or internship offer that has been rescinded. Please encourage them to schedule an appointment with a career coach for next steps and how to connect with other opportunities
- Internship & Job Opportunities – The Employer Relations team is staying closely connected to the market and they are proactively sourcing new internship & job opportunities daily. Students can login to Handshake and/or view their weekly newsletter to stay up-to-date on current opportunities. Watch Stuart Mease, Executive Director of the Employer Relations team deliver a state of the labor market update.
- Online Tools & Resources – To make sure your student is career ready, please direct them to the OPCD website for resume, interview and networking tips and much more. In addition, we’ve put together an FAQ page to help answer specific questions related to today’s optimal career actions and the COVID-19 impact on the job market.
The OPCD knows this is a deeply challenging time for our students and their families. Please let them know if there is anything they can do to be helpful to you or your student. We are all in this together. We are Wake Forest strong!
— by Betsy Chapman, Ph.D. (’92, MA ’94) – with a huge assist from my friends in the OPCD
Categories: the daily deac