I thought I had posted this yesterday before the deadline for it to be sent out – only to discover it was still in draft form. Oops. So bringing this to you a day late and a dollar short, as my P’92 dad was fond of saying.

It’s the SUN! And it looks glorious after all the days and days of endless rain. Yippee!

It’s a busy day for me so I today’s Daily Deac will be brief. Items to note:

A new issue of Letters So Dear was sent to first-year students, and among the other advice it offers, the writer talks about the fact that (in the words of one of my colleagues) transitions take time:

“It took me nearly two years to feel connected to our university, and I actually was even blind to its physical beauty until I returned from a semester abroad. What was different during fall of my junior year was that I started that semester more comfortable with myself and so could naturally embrace the strangers, friends, groups, and campus around me. I want to convey that warming up to yourself, the people you meet, and your environment can take time, and that these three things are interconnected. Your experience at Wake Forest will unfold at its own pace, and I hope the following few ideas that continue to help me will help you, too.”

Read the full letter via the Letters So Dear archives.

I’m starting to get questions from senior Deac families about Commencement. There will be more information that I will have in mid-March, and I will also share my tips and advice about the weekend. Hang tight until then.

We’ve also gotten some questions about when Orientation is, when final exams are, etc. for our incoming students in the Class of 2023, as people (understandably) want to purchase plane tickets. Our new ’23 students accepted Early Decision got this email today. If you are a P’23 family already reading the Daily Deac (gold star to you, BTW), you may want to check it out as well.

In terms of Move-In and Orientation, it is probably safest not to act yet. There are optional “Pre-Orientation” programs that your Deac may or may not want to participate in. Pre-Orientation programs allow students to campus a few days or a week before move in (and the arrival dates vary). So prior to making firm travel arrangements, families and students will want to see what the offerings are, when they will be notified if accepted, etc. Note, some programs have limited capacity.

For the regular semester (all students) here is an item from our FAQ page on travel planning:

When are semester breaks and holidays?  How do I know when to purchase tickets for my student to come home?
Before families purchase airline tickets for breaks, students must consult their course syllabus and talk to professors about the course schedule and final exam times. While families can use the academic calendar as a general guideline for travel, some professors will schedule exams or assignments on the last day of class before break; other professors have attendance requirements that only allow a certain number of missed classes. Final exam schedules will be posted on the Registrar’s web site when they are finalized (see Calendars section then look for Final Exams). NOTE: women participating in sorority recruitment will arrive in January a few days before classes begin; see the Fraternity and Sorority Life web site.

Note for our new families of ’23 Deacs: on May 1st, the New Students website will go live, and it will detail all this information. So know all of that information is coming!

— by Betsy Chapman ’92, MA ’94