I am in Atlanta for the rest of this week doing events here, but my sources on campus tell me a couple of things:

First off, that it is COLD.

Second, that with LDOC (Last Day of Classes) coming up on Friday, students are really starting to feel the pinch of finals looming.

Third, we are watching the forecast because it is looking like there might be a snow storm happening this weekend. When I checked WeatherChannel.com at 9 am today, it was saying that there is a chance of 5-8″ of snow on Sunday, and some on Monday.

That would really be a thing.

That said, forecasts are always a tricky thing to predict. There have been plenty of times where we were supposed to get 5-8″ of snow and we ended up getting 1-3″ (much to Class of 2027’s disappointment). There have also been times when we are supposed to get a dusting of snow and we get shellacked.

Know that many families are starting to worry about this in terms of their Deacs driving home after finals, or being able to get to the airport (I get it – I am a weapons-grade, best-in-class, 3-star Michelin worrier). But fretting about the weather won’t change anything, so we have to wait and see, because the forecast will evolve and presumably become clearer in the next 24-48 hours. If there is a big snow, we do have an excellent snow plan on campus to try and keep things running as smoothly as possible, and students would be alerted to any weather-related announcements in a number of ways.

Though I am on the road, if there was any new news about the security alert from earlier this week, my colleagues would make sure to get information to you. As I said yesterday, if you don’t hear anything, it means there is no new news, which is encouraging.

And if the snow does come, keep your eyes on the Quad Cam. Watching college students play in the snow is always such fun.

— by Betsy Chapman ’92, MA ’94