With Thanksgiving just a few weeks away (HOW DID THAT HAPPEN???), many people’s thoughts are turning to gratitude. My division of Wake, University Advancement, created a calendar of suggested activities for our staff, which encourages gratitude and kindness , and I modified slightly to share with you.

If you are looking for ways to be kinder, gentler, and more grateful – here is a start.

Tell a friend or colleague something that you appreciate about them.

Invite someone you don’t know that well to grab a coffee or lunch.

Call a friend you haven’t spoken to in a while.

Volunteer to do a task at work that you know most people find unpleasant (clean the office microwave?)

When you wake up, write down three simple things you are grateful for.

Agree not to engage in negative self talk today (“I’m too [X]” or “I’m not enough [Y]”) and instead tell yourself you are good enough just as you are.

Schedule a date with yourself – an evening that is all about you!

Forgive someone and say you’re sorry when you need to.

Veteran’s Day! Take a private moment to be proud of your country, observe a moment of silence, or hang a flag in your yard

Skip a splurge item this month and donate to a favorite charity instead.

Exhibit patience, even if you are in a hurry.

SMILE! Share a smile with a stranger; they are contagious and will help gratitude go viral!

Pay it forward; buy a coffee for the person behind you in the drive-thru line.

Leave a huge tip for your server when you dine out.

Journal your blessings; take some time to write down things you appreciated throughout the day.

Volunteer a few hours of your time at an animal shelter, food bank, place of worship, or local charity helping others.

Hold open the door for someone or let someone go in front of you when in traffic.

Let someone’s supervisor know what a great job s/he is doing (or praise a younger child for hard work and effort).

Thanksgiving! Have a wonderful day with family and friends filled with laughter and togetherness.

Be thankful for food, family and full stomachs!

And let me close by saying that every day I am grateful for all of you who read the Daily Deac. Your enthusiasm for this blog allows me to do work that I love, and for that I am eternally grateful.