This is not your ordinary July-almost-August at Mother So Dear.  Temps this weekend were in the low 80s, which is practically unheard of at this time of year. It was a perfect combination of sunny with a cool breeze and I suspect most of Winston-Salem was outdoors enjoying the splendor.  It is supposed to warm up to high 80s the next couple of days, and then will sink back into low 80s. I approve of the moderate temperatures.

We’ve been getting this question a lot in the Office of Family Engagement, mostly from our incoming P’21 parents:

I want to go ahead and buy my student’s plane tickets for breaks – where can I find out the dates for breaks.

Our FAQ page provides that answer – and a lot more, by the way, so if you have a question, that’s typically the best place to start looking for the answer.

When are semester breaks and holidays?  How do I know when to purchase tickets for my student to come home?
Before families purchase airline tickets for breaks, students must consult their course syllabus and talk to professors about the course schedule and final exam times. While families can use the academic calendar as a general guideline for travel, some professors will schedule exams or assignments on the last day of class before break; other professors have attendance requirements that only allow a certain number of missed classes. Final exam schedules will be posted on the Registrar’s web site when they are finalized. NOTE: women participating in sorority recruitment will arrive in January a few days before classes begin; see the Fraternity and Sorority Life web site.

So while the temptation is to take care of as much business as possible this summer, my best advice is hold on the plane tickets unless you would not mind paying a change fee if you found out later that your student’s schedule won’t mesh with that particular time to travel.

And a reminder – tuition is due tomorrow, August 1st.  The Financial section of our FAQ page has important information and links to the Financial Services web site, where you can get more information.  Parents and families do not automatically get access to their student’s tuition bill, students have to make parents or family members third-party payers on DEAC, our financial web site.