The Daily Deac is at the end of the Things to Look Forward to This Fall series, and what is left? Today isn’t about an event or a place or a thing, it is about the feeling of being back at Wake Forest as the semester begins. And we’ll try to project some ideas, in the style we like to do called “Five Senses.”
– Lots of upperclass students hugging and smiling hello as they move back to campus and reunite with friends
– Freshmen traveling in packs for the first few days
– Lines to buy books and people carrying large packages of same. Feel bad for the science majors; their textbooks are always enormous
– The start-of-semester student uniform: tshirts, shorts, flip flops, cellphones
– Frisbee on the Quad, or people studying on the grass. Lots of outdoor pursuits.
– People sitting on the walls and decks of the residence hall lounges. There could be guitars, or grilling, or gatherings.
– Joggers, walkers, and runners
– People talking as they walk on campus together
– Phone calls to moms, dads, significant others
– Ordering food in Subway, Benson, and all the other eateries
– Roars from intramural games in progress
– Mostly English, but occasional conversations in foreign languages (frequently Spanish and Chinese)
– the beehive buzz sound of a very full Farrell Hall Living Room
– The subtle, delicious scent of drying tobacco leaves from the plants nearby (but only on humid days). This is a smell your kids will forever associate with Wake Forest, I can promise you that.
– Fried food in the Benson Center (Chick Fil A, I’m looking at you)
– Fresh cut grass anywhere there is green space
– Freshly showered and perfumed girls on their residence halls
– The strong waft of coffee as you enter the ZSR Starbucks
– The smell of old books as you move from the Starbucks into the library stacks
– the first sip of a ZSR Starbucks – and it is delicious
– the crispy edge of a make your own waffle at the Pit’s waffle station
– a perfectly cooked omelet that has all your favorite ingredients in it
– the salty/sweet and delicious late night food runs from Cook Out, Krispy Kreme, delivery pizza
– tailgate food – depending on where you tailgate (and the game time), it could be BBQ, fried chicken, sausage or ham biscuits. None of it healthy but all of it perfectly suited to a ball game
– Like there is a lot of energy on campus. Especially on a Friday night, the electricity is palpable.
– Warm. It’s hot and sunny.
– Glad to be back.
Categories: campus life