Our student-athletes have a very difficult job, balancing all the rigors of Wake Forest academics with the rigors of Division I athletics.  They compete at the highest level in both arenas, and as an alumna I am proud of our student-athletes and their enviable graduation rates.

Part of the success of our student-athletes comes from the support they receive from coaches and administrators who guide and mentor them through their journey.  Today’s Meet a Deac is Mike Buddie (’93), a former standout student-athlete, then MLB pitcher, and now Associate AD for his alma mater.

———————————–

What is your official job title?
Associate Athletic Director for Administration/Development.

How long have you worked at WFU?
7 years as an employee:  2 years as the Director of Development for the Calloway Business School, 3 years in the Deacon Club, 2 years in Athletic Administration.

In laymen’s terms, what do you do at WFU?
I oversee several of our athletic programs (baseball, Men’s & Women’s Golf and Women’s Soccer) which includes scheduling, travel, budget oversight and tracking academic progress of our student-athletes.  I also maintain relationships with several donors and continue to cultivate those relationships for major gift opportunities.  I oversee our Construction, Event Management, Multi-Media and Auxiliary Revenue Units.  I am also involved with special projects such as contracts, conference issues, NCAA legislation, and Capital Projects.

How would you characterize Wake Forest students?  What are some common attributes they have?
Our student-athletes are focused, competitive and energetic young men and women with an incredible work ethic and desire to improve themselves.

What advice would you give to students?
To fight complacency, always strive to improve yourself and your academic work.

What do you like best about working at Wake Forest?
Being surrounded by thoughtful, intelligent and driven people who see “the big picture.”

In what year did you graduate and what was your major?
I should have graduated in 1993, but I decided to leave school after 3 years to pursue my dream of playing Major League Baseball.  Upon retiring from baseball in 2004, I “officially” earned my BA in Communications (’04).

What are some of your favorite memories as a student?
Watching Rodney Rodgers dominate UNC at The Joel [LJVM Coliseum], the first ever game played at The Joel, meeting my (future) wife on the Quad.

Let’s move to the lightning round:

Book you’re reading now The Speed of Trust by Stephen M.R Covey

What music are you listening to these days: A wide array: Jason Aldean, Shinedown, The Avett Brothers, Matt Kearney

Favorite movie: The Usual Suspects

Websites you frequent: wakeforestsports.com; espnu.com

Guilty pleasure: Peanut M&Ms

Favorite places to be on campus: the Quad, the Arnold Palmer Golf Complex, the cross country trails

What most people don’t know about you: I had a bit part in the 1999 Universal Studios Movie: “For Love of the Game” starring Kevin Costner, Kelly Preston, and Mike Buddie