Today I want to bring you some of the logistics of Family Weekend, straight from the Family Weekend committee, and also some info about the Daily Deacs for the next two weeks is at the end of this post.
The Family Weekend schedule is available through the Guidebook app (note: this is the same app that was used for 2021 and 2022 Orientation/New Deac Week). Please see instructions on the Family Weekend website (if you use your camera on the QR code on that page, it will give you a link to the Family Weekend Guide).
As the weekend approaches, families may have a variety of questions. Please visit our Frequently Asked Questions page prior to arrival on campus so you know what to expect.
Here are some important “how-to” items:
How to pick up your Family Weekend purchases (tickets, t-shirts, etc.) when you arrive on campus:
- All purchased items will be available for pickup at the Benson University Center in the fourth floor rotunda. If needed, your student will be able to pick up your order with their student ID.
The Welcome & Check-in Area will be open:
- Friday, October 7th from 10:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m.
- Saturday, October 8th from 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
Important Note on football tickets:
- Game time should be announced 10 days before the game. Keep your eye on the Family Weekend website on or godeacs.com around 9/26 to see the kickoff time
- Football tickets will not be paper, and delivery will be mobile. Read more about mobile ticketing.
See the FAQ for additional information.
Where to park on campus during the weekend:
- On campus, families can park in visitor and general lots as noted on the Reynolda Campus Parking Map. After 5 PM weekdays and during the day Saturday and Sunday, most campus lots are available for families. Accessible/handicap parking is found throughout campus in marked spaces (you must have the appropriate placard or license plate to park in accessible spaces. For more information about campus accessibility, visit our accessibility page.
Game Day Reminders and Game Day Parking:
- Clear Bag Policy – there is a clear bag policy at Truist Field. Clear bags are sold at the campus bookstore on Hearn Plaza.
- Carolina Classic Fair – our local fair will be happening across the street from Truist Field and will cause a significant increase in our normal game day traffic. Be sure to start your trip to the stadium early.
- Free shuttles to the game – Free shuttles will be available to the stadium area from Lot P, behind Wait Chapel and Huffman residence halls to 32nd Street, near Truist Field, leaving only a short walk across Shorefair Drive to reach the stadium area. After the game, return to the same location on 32nd Street to travel back to campus.
- Parking at the game – Game day parking is available at the LJVM Coliseum for $20 per car. Because of the Carolina Classic Fair, parking may be limited.
- Game Day parking and shuttle information
Public Health Guidelines
- While not currently required, masks remain an effective personal strategy to mitigate the risk of contracting and spreading COVID-19 as well as other viruses. Anyone who needs to, or prefers to, wear a mask in any setting should be welcomed to do so. We ask you to demonstrate respect and kindness for one another’s personal risk tolerance and wellbeing, as well as empathy for those whose assessment of risk may differ from your own.
- As we monitor our public health conditions, masking remains a tool in our mitigation response that could be applied if conditions warrant it.
Family Weekend is on Instagram! Follow us and use #wfuFW during the weekend to share your pics and stories!
We can’t wait to see everyone very soon. Go Deacs!
— by the Family Weekend Committee
Editorial note from Betsy: I am going to be out of the office starting today through October 7th at the earliest. I am having surgery for what I am calling a ‘nuisance, not serious‘ condition, and it will require at least 2 weeks of bedrest (not ideal timing, because I would have liked to see everyone for Family Weekend, but it was necessary). I have pre-posted Daily Deacs in my absence, and they will be added to by my colleagues in the event there is breaking news to share.
For those who email email@example.com with questions, or hit ‘reply’ on any of the Daily Deacs I have scheduled in my absence, those messages will be fielded by the staff from the Office of Family Engagement.
I also want to share our After Hours Help page, because the firstname.lastname@example.org email is only checked during business hours (8:30 am-5 pm Eastern time), so if you had an urgent concern that could not wait until the next business day, the After Hours Help page directs you to available resources.
September 22, 2022