Even though it is summer break, we’ll still bring you Daily Deacs – though admittedly they might be a little shorter, as we have a slower news cycle when the students aren’t here.

I happened across this about a week before Commencement, and was so excited to see it.  Our Secrest Artists Series, which is free for our students, brings incredible performing arts performances to campus each year.  In the 2016-17 schedule, I saw this:

Classical Savion

Thursday, November 10, 2016 | 7:30 pm | Brendle Recital Hall

The Tony award-winning dancer and choreographer Savion Glover—described by his mentor Gregory Hines as “perhaps the greatest tap-dancer who has ever lived”—brings his unprecedented talents and creativity to his dance interpretation of musical classics: Bach, Mozart, Vivaldi, Shostakovich and others. Accompanied by both a chamber orchestra and a jazz ensemble, this performance will be a genre-bending mixture of dance and music at its most extraordinary.

I have never seen Savion Glover tap dance live – yet! – but having seen him perform on television, he is simply incredible.  I cannot believe our good fortune in getting him to come to Wake Forest, and hats off to my faculty friend and former thesis advisor, Scott Klein, the Secrest Artists Series artistic director, for landing Savion Glover.  Huge get.

This will be something your Deacs will not want to miss.  November is a long way away, but this is something everyone should look forward to.

— by Betsy Chapman