Big news on this Black and Gold Friday, Deac families, and especially the P’16s.  We have announced our Commencement speaker:

“Eboo Patel, a leading voice for interfaith cooperation and the founder and president of Interfaith Youth Core (IFYC), will deliver Wake Forest University’s commencement address on Monday, May 16.

“Eboo Patel is recognized around the world for bridging divisions among people of different faiths,” said Wake Forest University President Nathan O. Hatch. “At a time when so much global conflict is rooted in religious difference and the need for interfaith cooperation is so great, I am pleased he will be Wake Forest’s commencement speaker.”

He has spoken at Wake Forest before, and he is good.  I think he will give a memorable speech.

“Also joining Wake Forest for the commencement weekend will be Baccalaureate speaker: The Reverend Dr. M. Craig Barnes, president and professor of pastoral ministry at Princeton Theological Seminary.

“Rev. Barnes’ ministry, writing and academic leadership reflect his thoughtful and widely informed approach to religious ministry and theological formation that is well suited to changing times,” Hatch said. “He has superbly led large urban congregations and is a wonderful communicator, deeply human and hopeful in his approach and his words.”

One of my dear friends used to belong to Craig Barnes’ church and said he was “one of my favorite people in the whole world.”  Again, I anticipate a great sermon from him.

When I think back to my own Commencement from Wake (speaker: Tom Clancy) to the 15 I have attended as a staff member, I have been surprised and delighted by the unexpectedly amazing speeches.  The speeches that I thought had the most gravitas and wisdom haven’t always come from the people with the most famous names.  I won’t kiss and tell on that either 🙂

— by Betsy Chapman