A Wake Forest student walks past the new Health and Exercise Science addition to Worrell Professional Center on Tuesday, February 23, 2016. The addition has research labs and classrooms.

The long-awaited addition to Worrell Professional Center (WPC) is now completed, so our department of Health and Exercise Science has moved in there. I have seen students and faculty coming and going so I decided to take a little walkabout.  (True confession: mostly I got lost. I took a flight of stairs that I thought would lead to the second floor and a hallway, and turns out it goes straight into a classroom!  Thankfully, the door was propped open so I could see and hear inside, and I managed to spot a row of students and beat a hasty retreat).  The building addition is really nice. Lots of glass, lots of natural light in the entrance.

The real find for me was in another part of the building, though.

Wake Forest law student Jordan Lee ('JD '16) studies before class in the law commons in Worrell Professional Center on Wednesday, October 28, 2015.

Wake Forest law student Jordan Lee (‘JD ’16) studies before class in the law commons in Worrell Professional Center on Wednesday, October 28, 2015.

Wake Forest School of Law students work in the new Law Commons in the Worrell Professional Center on Tuesday, September 15, 2015.

The WPC is home to our law school, and it recently had a facelift in the Law Commons area.  This is sort of the companion piece to the Farrell Hall Living Room – a large, open concept greatroom with lots of seating (tables and chairs, as well as armchairs), there is even a gas log fireplace.  It’s sleek and pretty and would be a fine spot for anyone to study.  Presumably most of the folks there are law students, but in theory anyone could go.

I had heard rumors of a dining venue in the Law Commons, and so I stopped by to check it out.  It is a Boars Head place that makes paninis and soups and has a couple of pastry options, as well as sodas, chips, etc.  I’ve been there twice for lunch.  Once was over the top superlative – a caprese panini (mozzarella, tomatoes, pesto, basil) that was warm and delicious.  The second time around the ingredients were a little wet, but still good.  If your Deacs are tiring of their usual dining places, the should check this out.

2 29 16 law commons 6Several good and proper pics of the Law Commons area by our great Ken Bennett, and then a hastily-snapped one by me of the front of the dining area.

PS – the weather today is STUNNING. I hope your Deacs get outside to enjoy it.  Maybe 68 and sunny with a light breeze. Hard to get better than that.

— by Betsy Chapman