Site Content

Questions & Answers

Click on the appropriate link below to jump to that portion of the Questions & Answers section.

NOTE: most administrative offices work on a Monday-Friday 8:30a.m. – 5 p.m. schedule.  However, if you have an urgent need to reach someone at the university because you have a concern that must be addressed quickly, we have designated the University Police as our 24/7 contact.  They can assess the situation and determine who best to address your concern.

The 24-hour contact number for University Police is 336.758.5591 (non emergency) or 336.758.5911 (emergency). They can get in touch with on-call duty staff 24 hours/day.

For Newly Accepted Students
Academics and Calendar (Breaks)
Campus Recreation
Career Development
Greek Life (Fraternity and Sorority Life)
Healthcare, Mental Health, and Related Services
Housing and Campus Life
Mail Services, Deliveries, and University Stores
Safety/University Police/Notifications of Events and Emergencies
Transportation and Travel

For Newly Accepted Students

I am a parent or family member of a new student (Class of 2019).  Where should I look for information I need?
Campus Day for Accepted Students is an optional program you and your student may wish to attend.  Dates are April 17 and 24; you can attend the session of your choice.  Admissions will be sending out information about Campus Day in late March or early April.  There will be a  New Students web site for the Class of 2019 that goes live around mid-May 2015.  While you can view the information for the Class of 2018, know that it can and will change for next year, so dates and requirements will be different.

What should I know about the course selection process for my first-year student?
There is an overview of academics for the first-year student, along with typical schedule and an explanation of our Basic and Divisional requirements.

My student has taken four years of Spanish in high school, but is thinking of switching to a different foreign language at Wake Forest.  What are your thoughts?
This is a decision only your student can make.  Having said that, there are a number of things he may want to consider when making his decision.  Read one academic adviser’s advice.

My child has been accepted at Wake Forest; when will he find out his roommate’s name?
The New Students web site Housing section will provide information on housing, class registration and more when it goes live in May 2015 for the Class of 2019.  Students are usually notified of their roommate in late July or early August.

First-year students are assigned housing with roommates based on the personal preferences selected on the Housing and Dining Application completed online after admission to the University. All selections chosen are only preferences and no guarantees can be made that an exact roommate match will be found based upon these preferences. Single and double rooms are randomly assigned based upon availability and when preferences can be honored.  Roommate or specific building requests are not considered. Incoming students will be notified of their room and roommate assignment in late July or early August. Assignments are made without regard to race, religion, sexual orientation, or national origin. We do not assign siblings or friends as roommates. We wait until we receive the Housing and Dining Application from a majority of students in order to match students based on your responses. When you receive your roommate assignment in July, please reach out to your roommate so you can begin getting to know one another. When you arrive on campus, you and your roommate will complete an agreement which will help define some expectations for how you will use the room.

Is there a way to locate other incoming new students from our area?
New Student Receptions for new students and their parents are held in various cities across the country during the summer. Please be sure to register to attend the reception of your choice.  Email invitations are typically sent to the host town and surrounding areas within a short drive, as we do not want any families to feel this is a ‘command performance.’  You do NOT need a formal invitation to attend a reception, so if you live beyond the immediate area and have not received an e-vite, you are still more than welcome to attend!

When is new student orientation?
The New Students web site will provide the full Orientation schedule; this should go live in July 2015.  Please note that the Orientation schedule for parents will be shorter than the one for students. Orientation is mandatory for all new students. There are normally several optional “pre-orientation” programs for students who want to come to campus earlier (usually a few days or a week before move in).  There are special programs such as “wilderness to Wake”, community volunteering, faith based programs and more. Prior to making travel arrangements for Orientation and move-in, parents and students will want to consult the full schedule and optional pre-orientation programs.

When is Move-in Day?
Move-in Day will be Friday, August 21, 2015.  The Orientation schedule has not yet been released.  To give you an idea of past years’ schedules, typically the students move in on the 21st, then there will be student and parent activities that day and evening continuing on to Saturday the 22nd.  Typically, parents are free to depart by early afternoon on the 22nd; there are some optional activities that run later that day, but they are optional. As we have more detailed information, we will post it here.

If my student attends a pre-orientation session, how should we handle travel plans for our family?
Many families elect to send the student to campus on his/her own for pre-orientation (with the student packing only the basics for what he/she will need during the pre-orientation program).  Then the parents or family members can bring the bulk of the student’s items for actual Move-In Day and can attend Orientation activities for parents.  Many students find it comforting to have a family member there during Move In, and many parents want to fully participate in Orientation activities for parents.  However, each family should feel free to make the decisions that work best for their student and their family.

Is there a tuition insurance program in case my student has medical or emotional issues that would cause him to need to withdraw?
An unexpected withdrawal due to sickness or injury can mean significant financial consequences for families. Wake Forest offers an elective tuition insurance plan through A.W.G. Dewar, Inc. that will help minimize financial loss if a student suffers a serious illness or accident and must withdraw before the end of a semester.  Parents should strongly consider this option, as there are some unfortunate cases each year where a student must withdraw for an unexpected illness or accident midsemester.

What immunizations will my child need and what information is required on the medical form?
Wake Forest and North Carolina State law require certain immunizations for students.  There is an FAQ about the required medical form that helps answer frequently asked questions.


What are the requirements to be on the Dean’s List?
The Dean’s List is issued after the end of the fall and spring semesters. It includes all full-time, degree-seeking students in the College and the Schools of Business who have a grade point average of 3.4 or better for a full-time course load in the semester and who have earned no grade below C during the semester.

Are tutoring services available?
The Learning Assistance Center provides one-on-one and group tutoring services. Students who want tutoring services should go to the Learning Assistance Center to fill out forms about his/her tutoring needs. The peer tutors hired in the Learning Assistance Center must have at least a 3.0 GPA overall, have made an A or B in the class they are tutoring, and have a strong recommendation from their professor.  Availability varies from semester to semester, and tutoring is not available in all courses.  However, tutors are generally available for courses that satisfy divisional requirements, including sciences and foreign language.  Many academic departments also keep a list of tutors that students can enlist for assistance.

Do AP (Advanced Placement) and/or IB (International Baccalaureate) courses completed in high school count for Wake Forest credit?
Depending on the score of the test, a student may get credit.  See the AP Credit and IB Credit page for more information.

When are semester breaks and holidays?
The academic calendar provides information on breaks and recesses.  Before students or parents purchase tickets for plane travel around University holidays, students should consult their professors about their course schedule and exam times.  For families of young women who plan to go through sorority recruitment in January, please note that their arrival on campus is typically several days before the rest of campus; the Fraternity and Sorority Life web site will have the recruitment schedule.

How can I know when to purchase my student’s airplane tickets to come home for breaks?
Before you make any plane reservations for your student, your student must consult the syllabus for each of his/her classes and discuss the class/exam schedule with the professor.  While families can use the academic calendar as a general guideline of when school is out of session, some professors will schedule exams or assignments on the last day of class before break, and some professors have attendance requirements that only allow a certain number of missed classes, and your student is responsible for knowing the specific requirements for his/her classes.  Also, your student must be sure of his/her final exam schedule.  Exam schedules will be posted on the Registrar’s web site when they are finalized.  Exams are typically held from 9am-12 noon and 2-5 pm, though students should consult their specific course syllabus for information.  NOTE:  for families of young women who plan to go through sorority recruitment in January, please note that their arrival on campus is typically several days before the rest of campus; the Fraternity and Sorority Life web site will have the recruitment schedule.

What is FERPA and how does it affect parent access to grades?
The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA) as amended is a federal law which is designed to protect the privacy of and limit access to the educational records of students.

Beginning in the Fall 2014, Wake Forest students can grant others access to view certain pieces of information that is normally available in their WIN account. This is termed granting “proxy access,” and the other person is referred to as the “proxy.”  The most common scenario is for a student to grant a parent or spouse access to his/her information; however, the student can choose anyone who has an e-mail address. By granting proxy access the student is giving Wake Forest permission to share the selected information with that individual. This permission is necessary to comply with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).

The proxy/student relationship is controlled by the student. The student can create proxy user accounts and assign access to specific pages within WIN. Proxy users can potentially view items such as a student’s class schedule, mid-term and final grades, academic transcript, and degree audit/progress. The student can reset a PIN for his/her proxy and can also choose to stop proxy access to his/her information. Requests to access student academic information and to become a proxy should be made directly to the student.  Midterm grades will not be mailed.

What should my student do if he has issues with registration/his schedule (such as not having enough hours to be considered a full time student?)
The best option for students who are having trouble getting their schedules resolved is to work with the Office of Academic Advising (OAA).  They can either walk in to make an appointment or they can call 336-758-3320.  The OAA has a staff of professional academic counselors that can look at students’ schedules and make some recommendations and discuss options.

What if I have questions about my child’s academic performance?
If you should have questions or concerns about how your student is doing at Wake Forest, contact the Office of Academic Advising at 336.758.3320 or It is best not to contact faculty members, as it is important that the faculty-student relationship be built directly by those individuals. In addition, faculty will not know whether the FERPA (Family Educational Right to Privacy Act) forms have been signed so they will not be certain what information your student has given permission to communicate.  The Office of Academic Advising will have access to your student’s FERPA status.

My student has received a very poor grade in a course.  What options are available to him?
The Undergraduate Bulletin talks about repetition of courses:  “A student may repeat at Wake Forest a Wake Forest course for which he or she has received a grade of C- or lower. In this case, all grades received will be shown on the transcript, but the course may be counted only one time for credit. If a student fails a course previously passed, the hours originally earned will not be lost. For purposes of determining the cumulative grade point average, a course will be considered as attempted only once, and the grade points assigned will reflect the highest grade received. These provisions do not apply to any course for which the student has received the grade of F in consequence of an honor violation.”

One strategy for retaking a course previously failed is to consider doing so in one of Wake Forest’s summer school sessions.  During summer school, a student can focus on just that one class, with presumably fewer distractions.  Many students find summer school to be an ideal time to take courses they know will be difficult for them, because they can devote their full time to that class and will not have the same amount of extracurricular options as they would during spring or fall semester.

My student has a professor who has a foreign accent that is difficult to understand.  He/she does not want to get a bad grade in the class.  What is the best course of action?
The best course of action is to have the student set up a time to meet with the faculty member so as to talk about his/her concerns. Sometimes students are reluctant to approach faculty about for fear of offending the professor, but if handled respectfully, professors will typically respond well to an expression of students’ motivation and concern about learning the course material.  Also, one of the important lessons of college is the values of communication even over difficult issues.

When meeting with the faculty member, your student could say in a respectful and polite way some things along the lines of:  “I have been struggling in this class.  I have been a bit afraid to come to you because I don’t want to be seen as complaining or causing trouble, but I really want to do well and I need to ask for your help. Sometimes it is hard for me to follow along with what you are saying.  Sometimes I feel like I need to ask for additional clarification or a slower explanation.  I am trying hard, but I am still having some difficulty learning your accent.  How would you like me to handle it when I don’t understand?  Would it be OK if I raise my hand to ask you to repeat material or give a little more information?  Or is there a time I can go over my notes with you outside of class? ”  The student can also ask the professor for other recommendations.  For example, making plans to visit the professor regularly in office hours could provide an opportunity for a one-on-one question and answer time, and those additional conversations might help the student acclimate more to the faculty member’s speech.

If your student is having difficulty understanding a TA in a lab section, she or he can approach a TA in the same manner.  Your student can also speak with the faculty member who teaches the class with which the lab is connected, so that the faculty member is aware of any difficulties.  Faculty do try to work with TA’s who have accents to be sure that any language or communication difficulties are addressed.

This is one of those moments where there can be immense learning and personal growth for your student.  Approaching a professor can seem intimidating, but at WFU we expect student motivation toward and interest in learning to be welcomed.  Once our students have a conversation with a professor it often builds self-confidence for conversations with others, even when those conversations are difficult.  This includes conversations with other professors, with roommates, with future employers, etc.  Learning to diplomatically express concerns and reach some sort of agreement is a skill we all need.

Does Wake Forest offer summer school, and what should we know about it?
Yes, Wake Forest offers a Summer Session.  There are many different reasons that students might consider taking classes over the summer.  Read more about Summer Session on campus.  In addition, it is possible for students to take some classes at approved colleges and universities closer to home; see the Registrar’s site for more details.

Who should I contact to notify of a family emergency that affects my student?
To report a serious illness, family emergency or other matters that might affect your student’s wellbeing or academic progress, contact the Office of Academic Advising at 336.758.3320 or  NOTE:  The 24-hour contact number for parents or families is the University Police number, 336.758.5591 (non emergency) or 336.758.5911 (emergency). They can get in touch with the on-call duty staff 24-hours/day.

If my student is ill with mononucleosis (“mono”), what should he or she do?
The Student Health Service provided the following information/recommendations about mono.

Who should my student notify if he/she is delayed getting to campus following an official University break (like winter break, spring break, etc.)
If your student is having travel difficulties (for example due to winter storms and flight delays) and will not be back on campus for classes, students should contact their professors directly to let them know of their delay.  Students should also contact the Office of Academic Advising at and alert their RA (Resident Adviser).

What are Basic Requirements?
All students must complete five required basic courses (unless exempted through procedures established by the departments concerned):  a First Year Seminar, a Writing Seminar, two required health courses and a literature course taught in a foreign language.   The Undergraduate Bulletin provides a full list of Basic and Divisional Requirements.  In each academic department’s section of the Undergraduate Bulletin, courses that satisfy Divisional Requirements are marked with a (D) at the end of the course description.  Here is an overview of academics, along with typical schedule and an explanation of our Basic and Divisional requirements.

What are Divisional Requirements?
Students must complete coursework in five basic divisions of human knowledge:  Humanities (Religion, History, Philosophy), Literature (in English, or foreign literature in translation), Fine Arts (Art, Music, Theatre and Dance), Social Sciences (Anthropology, Communication, Economics, Education, Politics and International Affairs, Psychology, and Sociology), and Math and Natural Sciences (Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Computer Science, and Mathematics).  Students do not have to take classes from every department within a division; they have the ability to choose among departments. The Undergraduate Bulletin provides a full list of Basic and Divisional Requirements.  In each academic department’s section of the Undergraduate Bulletin, courses that satisfy Divisional Requirements are marked with a (D) at the end of the course description.  Here is an overview of academics, along with typical schedule and an explanation of our Basic and Divisional requirements.

What are academic advisers?
Every new student is assigned upon arrival to an academic adviser (usually a faculty member), an academic counselor, and a student adviser.  Majors are declared in the second semester of the sophomore year, at which point a new academic adviser is assigned in the department(s) of the major(s). Before every registration period, a face-to-face meeting with the academic adviser is required, with the exception of the summer prior to enrollment, when first-year students will register for some courses online.

Why does Wake Forest assign initial academic advisers without regard to students’ initial expression of potential interest in a major?
There are a number of benefits of not assigning new students to advisers in a proposed major.  New students need to be encouraged to keep an open mind, to explore MANY options, and to consider the possibilities inherent in combining multiple interests.  For many students, choice of major is something that will evolve rapidly during the first months in school.  A good connection with someone outside a main projected interest provides an important educational function in stimulating conversations across individuals with multiple learning styles, modes of thinking, and values.

That said, many students wish to connect early on with representatives from multiple possible majors and minors, and we want to encourage this!  In addition, we encourage students to always be on the lookout for ways to develop a full constellation of potential advisers and mentors.

The lower division adviser should be thought of as a starting point for reaching out to other advisers as may be needed.  In addition, students’ academic counselor in the Office of Academic Advising will always be ready to provide some good leads and recommendations on additional contacts, both before and after the major declaration occurs in spring of the sophomore year.

When do students declare a major?
Majors are declared in the second semester of the sophomore year, at which point a new academic adviser is assigned in the department(s) of the major(s).

What are First Year Seminars?
First Year Seminars, which enroll 15-19 first year students per section, are taught by faculty from all academic divisions and ranks. First Year Seminars typically include intense intellectual interchange in a setting where all students participate. These seminars include discussion and debate on issues and examination of opposing viewpoints that will hone students’ critical thinking skills and written and oral arguments.

What Textbook options are offered?
Textbooks, located beneath the Bookstore in Taylor Hall offers new, used, and rental textbooks (as well as course packs and digital versions as requested by the Faculty).

How does a student obtain their Textbooks?
Once students have registered for their classes, if they want to order online at the Bookstore or log into the WIN system and select the “Virtual Campus” tab. Beneath the “Bookstore” heading click “Order Textbooks On-line”. Students may also purchase their textbooks  in the Textbook Department located on the bottom level of the Bookstore in Taylor Hall.

What is Buyback?
Buyback is a chance to sell back used books for cash. When a book is being used again on our campus, we are able to offer top dollar in cash to purchase back that book or 110% of buyback dollars on a University Stores gift card.

How can I pay for Textbooks?
We accept all major credit cards, cash, check, and Deacon Dollars.


How can my student get tickets to Wake Forest sporting events?
Being part of the Screamin Demons student organization is the best way for students to get in to the games.  Screamin Demon sign up happens just after the start of school; students should look for flyers around campus.  There is a $40 fee, which gets students a Screamin Demon tshirt, early admittance to football and men’s basketball games, and more.  If your student does not sign up to be a Screamin Demon, general student seats at football are available (while supplies last) on game day at BB&T Field, and tickets to men’s basketball games can be picked up (while supplies last) in the Benson University Center the day before the game.  Those tickets are free, and students must bring their WFU ID to claim them.  Tickets are not required for sports other than football and men’s basketball; students show their ID at the door.  For fall 2014 football games, athletics is running shuttles from parking Lot P next to the Chapel starting four hours prior to the game and running one hour post game.

Campus Recreation

What types of activities does Campus Recreation offer?
40 fitness classes per week, 18 different intramural sports leagues (flag football, innertube water polo, indoor soccer etc), Outdoor trips most every weekend – backpacking, climbing, whitewater rafting, etc., Club sports teams for every interest (36) – fencing, archery, soccer, baseball, softball, equestrian, squash, rowing, field hockey etc. Aquatics/water sports – club swim team, lap swim, open rec pool hours etc Recreational Facility Hours – fitness center, gymnasiums, bouldering wall, pool, outdoor basketball, etc. All activities and programs are listed on the Campus Recreation web site.

My son/daughter played on a competitive sports team in high school. What opportunities are there for him/her to continue to play competitively?
Campus Recreation has club sports teams who practice two to threes per week, have operational budgets, elect officers and travel/compete in collegiate leagues across the state and region. Many of these teams host tryouts, many do not. Intramural sports (competitive sports against other Wake students) offers a wide variety of competitive leagues for students of all skill levels as well.

How do students find out how to join or tryout for a club sports team?
They must attend the Student Organizations Fair which is held the Tuesday or Wednesday after the first day of classes in the fall. Individuals can also call the Campus Recreation office to find out practice times and locations. Most club teams have a tryout during the early part of the fall semester.

Are there leadership/employment opportunities in Campus Recreation?
Yes. Campus Recreation is the number two employer on campus. Each year numerous Wake Forest students are hired as fitness instructors, personal trainers, lifeguards, fitness center supervisors, outdoor pursuits trip leaders, sports officials and special events supervisors. Each semester, meeting times for the training of these job positions are available in the Campus Recreation office. Concerning leadership development,each club sports team elects a set of officers to manage the club finances, game schedule and team selection each year. Every intramural sports team will have a team captain self-selected to manage team game opportunities and lineups as well.

Career Development

How do students learn about career opportunities?
A major function of the Office of Personal and Career Development is to guide students as they explore majors and careers, prepare resumes and interview strategies and search for internships and jobs.  By registering with the office through the DeaconSource system, students are regularly informed about career and internship opportunities as well as the numerous educational and networking events held each semester.

How can students explore possible majors and career paths?
Before students begin making decisions about majors and career paths, they need to assess their interests, values, personality type and skills. Self-assessment instruments enable students to understand these important qualities as well as identify possible majors and career paths that best align with their self-assessment. Students may call the Office of Personal and Career Development at 336.785.5902 or stop by the office located on the 2nd floor of Reynolda to talk to a counselor about self-assessments.

What should my student be doing to help his/her career search?
The Career Development web site has the most highly recommended action steps for each year in college. Parents can refer to the schedule for each year (first year, sophomore year, junior year, and senior year) and also encourage their students to engage with the office staff and its many resources and events. The web site includes valuable online resources and personal assessments available. Additionally, students can schedule one-on-one career counseling appointments to develop a personalized action plan.

How can I get involved?  What if there are opportunities in my organization?
Parents can provide career advice and support to students by joining the LinkedIn Career Connectors Group.  If you are interested in hiring students for internships or full-time jobs, see the Daily Deac parents blog interview with Lori Sykes of our Employer Development team for more information or contact Mike Crespi at 336.758.5814 with internship and job leads.


Does Wake Forest provide students with computers?
All undergraduate students new to Wake Forest receive a laptop loaded with a comprehensive suite of software applications standard for students and faculty. Incoming first-year students will receive a laptop during Orientation. The laptop will be your student’s to use throughout his or her undergraduate years at Wake Forest. Wake Forest will retain ownership of the laptop, but your student is  responsible for the care of the laptop and will be subject to repair charges and applicable deductibles in case of negligence, loss, or theft.  Information for new students about computing can be found here.

How do students print their documents?
The Information Systems web site has information about printing using campus resources.  Students may also elect to purchase a printer.



I am a incoming parent or family member.  What do I need to know about dining plans?
In summer 2015 (for the Class of 2019), please visit the Dining section of the New Students web site for more information.

Where can I find general information about the Meal Plan, what Deacon Dollars are, and what Food Dollars are?
Financial Services web site  has detailed descriptions of these programs. NOTE: to learn how to see balances of Deacon Dollars and Food Dollars, see the next question.

How can I find out the balance of Deacon Dollars and Food Dollars on my student’s account?
The WFU Dining Services web site allows you to check the balance of Deacon Dollars and  Food Dollars. On the Dining Services homepage in the top right corner where it says Log In/Create an Account, your student will need to log in and set up an account to check Food Dollars / Deacon Dollars balances.  Once the student logs in, go to “My Account” then click “One Card Options.” This will take your student to the spot to put in his/her ID number.  The student will then go to the Family Link tab and enter their parent’s email address.  The parent will get an email with a temporary password.  The parent will need to set up his/her own account.  To do so, go to the Family Link and put in your student’s email address.  Once both accounts have been set up, you will be able to see your Food Dollar and Deacon Dollar balances on the upper left corner of the home page.  NOTE: Deacon Dollars are different from Food Dollars and must be added by calling the Financial Services Office.

Are dining locations open during Thanksgiving Break or Spring Break?
Campus remains open during Thanksgiving Break or Spring break, however there will be changes to the normal dining schedule and many locations may be closed during the break.  If your student is staying on campus during a break, he or she will want to look for information about posted hours of closings and make appropriate arrangements.

Is there a cake order and delivery service for students’ birthdays and other occasions?
The Campus Dining office provides a variety of gift baskets and cakes.

What local restaurants are recommended?
The Daily Deac parent blog asked its readers to send recommendations on local eateries.  See their responses here.  Local alumni were also polled about their ‘best of Winston-Salem’ eateries.  See their responses here.  You may also wish to consult the Winston-Salem Visitors Bureau for dining suggestions.


What should I do if I have an urgent concern about my student or need to reach someone at the University after normal business hours (8:30am-5pm M-F)?
The 24-hour contact number for parents or families is the University Police number, 336.758.5591 (non emergency) or 336.758.5911 (emergency). They can get in touch with the on-call duty staff 24-hours/day.

Where can I find emergency notifications and emergency preparedness information?
Wake Alert is the University’s emergency notification system. Read more about emergency preparedness at Wake Ready.


When is Family Weekend? How can I purchase tickets to Family Weekend events and the football game?
The date for Fall Family Weekend 2015 is October 2-4.  Registration for 2015 Family Weekend will open on July 15th at 10 am Eastern.  There are some Family Weekend Events (such as the Touchdown Club football and meal package) that have limited capacity, so register quickly to reserve your place.

How/when is the Fall Family Weekend date chosen?
The date is chosen after the football schedule is released, which is normally in late January, because Family Weekend is typically held during a home football game weekend.  It may take some days or weeks between the release of the football schedule and the selection of the Family Weekend date.  The University needs to research which weekends have adequate hotel space, when the NC Furniture Market is in session, and if there are other holidays or local events to consider.   As soon as that date is chosen, it will be published on the main Parents’ Page.  NOTE: due to television scheduling, we will not know the exact time of the football game until 10 days before Family Weekend.

How do I get athletic tickets?
The Wake Forest Ticket Office offers online ticket purchasing.

When is Commencement?
The Commencement web site provides a list of Commencement dates in future years (see bottom left of page) as well as information on all the events. Parents can order tickets online (when registration is available in the spring).  Please make note of the checklist for parents and checklist for students as well as the FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) for Commencement weekend.

How and when can I book a hotel for Commencement?
Hotels generally do not begin booking until after the current year’s commencement has taken place.  It is wise to book as early as you can in the summer.  Note that many hotels have minimum night stays and be aware of their cancellation policies.


When is tuition billed/due?
The tuition schedule is available on the Student Financial Services’ billing page.

How are parents notified when tuition is due?
Wake Forest uses an electronic online billing system called DEAC (Deacon Electronic Account Center).

Each month, an e-bill notification is e-mailed to students at their Wake Forest University e-mail address.  An e-mail notification is also sent at the same time to valid e-mail addresses for each authorized payer that has been granted access to DEAC by their student.

If you are not receiving email reminders for e-bills, it is most likely because your student has not yet granted access to you for their DEAC account. Once your student grants access, you will receive an email reminder about e-bill at the e-mail address that your student enters for you.

NOTE: Because students do not always check their email as regularly as their parents do, it can be easy for students to miss the e-bill email – and if they miss it (and you as a parent don’t know that tuition is due), they can be blocked from class registration or other important processes because tuition and fees have not been paid by the due date.  To avoid those kinds of issues, students should authorize a payer on DEAC.

What does my student need to do to grant me access to the DEAC online payment system?
Please visit the DEAC web site for detailed instructions.

What forms of payment are accepted?
Please visit the billing and payment web site for more information.

What about student refunds?
Please see the refunds page for information.

Can I receive my student’s 2014-1098T tax form electronically rather than by mail?
Wake Forest  issues the 1098T in electronic and mail format to the student due to federal FERPA laws. A student needs to grant consent in order to view and print out the form via WIN. Please visit the SFS website for more information on student’s granting electronic consent.

What is the difference in the meal plan, the food dollars, and Deacon Dollars?
The Deacon OneCard web site has a description of the various options.  Deacon Dollars are a declining balance fund that can be used for both food and non-food purchases at most campus locations. Deacon Dollars are equivalent to U.S. dollars.  A student cannot withdraw Deacon Dollars for cash (it is not like an ATM card in that respect).  There is also information about replacing lost Deacon Onecards.

What are on-campus banking options?
There is a branch of Wells Fargo on campus; it is on the second floor of the Benson University Center near the food court.

What ATMs are offered on campus?
There is a BB&T ATM in the Benson Center across from the Information Desk in the 3rd floor lobby.  A Wells Fargo ATM is on the Quad (Hearn Plaza) in Davis Hall.

Can a student buy things on campus with a credit/debit card, or do they have to use Deacon Dollars?
Students can purchase things at the College Bookstore using Deacon Dollars, or MasterCard, VISA or American Express.  Many other sites on campus also take debit/credit cards (in addition to Deacon Dollars).

Who can help me with a financial aid question?
The Student Financial Aid Web site has detailed information, an FAQ and staff e-mail and telephone numbers.

How do I add Deacon Dollars to a Deacon OneCard?
The Deacon OneCard web site has a description of how to add Deacon Dollars. 

Fraternity and Sorority Life (Greek Life)

Where can I find information about fraternities and sororities?
The Fraternity and Sorority Life web site provides a vast amount of information, including a section on how to join (recruitment), chapters on campus, information for parents, and more.

What does recruitment look like at Wake Forest?
Recruitment for first-year students does not take place until January (their second semester on campus.)  For families of young women who plan to go through sorority recruitment in January, please note that their arrival on campus is typically several days before the rest of campus; the Fraternity and Sorority Life web site will have the recruitment schedule.

Read a description and FAQ of men’s spring fraternity recruitment.

Read a description and FAQ of spring 2015 sorority recruitment. 

When is recruitment ?
Recruitment dates are listed online.

What percent of Wake Forest students are members of fraternities and sororities?
In the fall semester (when first year students are not eligible and many juniors are abroad), about 35% of students are members of fraternities and sororities.  In the spring semester (when first year students have been through recruitment and many juniors are back from abroad), about 48% of students are members. For women overall, about 40% are members in the fall semester and 58% in the spring.  For men overall, about 31% are members in the fall semester and 36% in the spring. 

Do fraternities and sororities have their own houses?
All but five fraternities have dedicated lounge space in the residence halls, and these are usually attached to their housing block.  Housing blocks are rooms next to one another where members live. Most fraternities and sororities have housing blocks.  Having fraternity and sorority members living with independent students in the same residence halls is an enhancement to our close campus community – people share the same spaces and form bonds even when they aren’t in the same organization. Only one fraternity has a University-recognized off-campus house.

How do fraternity and sorority grades compare to the rest of the student body?
The All-Sorority GPA (3.33) is typically higher than the All-Women GPA (3.30) on campus.  The All-Fraternity GPA is just below (3.15) the All-Men GPA (3.16) on campus. (Spring 2014 reporting).

Healthcare, Mental Health, and Related Services

What health care services are provided on campus?
Many services are offered at the Student Health Service and are covered by the Student Health fee. There is a charge for medications, laboratory tests, observation care, and some supplies and services.  The Student Health Service is more than just urgent care; read more about how your student can receive ongoing care for chronic conditions, get prescriptions, and establish a connection to local specialists when needed.

What if my student gets sick during the semester? What should he do? How should he handle his classes if he feels too sick to attend?
If a student is ill, he or she should make an appointment with the Student Health Service so he or she can be seen and treated as appropriate. The first priority is to get the student well again.

Students who are too ill to attend class should communicate promptly with their professors via email about their illness.  If care is being received for an illness or injury at the Student Health Service that interferes with class attendance, the Student Health Service will provide documentation for faculty of this illness at the student’s request.  This is usually through a receipt documenting the visit available to students at checkout.  Because the responsibility of excusing students from class rests with the faculty, students are encouraged to discuss their medical situations with their professors.  If additional documentation is needed from the Student Health Service, this can be provided at the student’s request.  Information concerning hospitalization and prolonged illnesses is sent, with the student’s permission, to the Office of Academic Advising who can then contact student’s professors about the situation.

Some faculty members have an attendance policy on their course syllabi, Students can ask their professor about whether an absence for illness counts against a specific professor’s attendance policy or if that can be remedied with documentation from The Office of Academic Advising or Student Health.  Faculty members may also have statements on their syllabi directing students not to attend class if ill with a contagious illness (such as influenza). Students should check the syllabus for that information.

What if my student is ill?  Do I get notified, and if so, how?
If a parent calls asking to speak with a staff member of the Student Health Service, the parent will be told that we cannot discuss the care without the student’s permission.  Health Service personnel will attempt to contact the student to get permission to discuss the provided healthcare if a parent calls.  Parents can also ask their student to contact the Health Service to give permission to discuss the diagnosis and care.  In some cases, students may have already provided this permission during the visit.

Parents are welcomed to call and speak to a Health Service clinician; however, information concerning the diagnosis and treatment of the student cannot be provided to the parent without the student’s permission.

In general for non-emergency cases, the Health Service will not notify parents of their children’s illnesses or visits unless directed to do so by the student.  In urgent or emergent situations, we usually ask for permission to contact parents.

Permission to discuss care is generally limited to a particular problem; if the student returns at a later date for a different concern, permission again would need to be provided by the student before Health Service personnel would be able to provide information about the new illness or injury.

In cases of true emergencies one of the following will happen:

* Student Health will get permission from the student to talk with their parents at the time of transfer (if we haven’t already been in touch with the parents in the course of the evaluation and treatment here in the Health Service).

* Student Health routinely notifies the Chaplain’s Office when a student is referred to the emergency room or hospital (without providing information of the nature of the medical problem).  The Chaplain’s Office is also notified by Residence Life staff when they are aware of any student being transferred to the hospital for care (independent of our notification).  The Chaplains are usually in contact with parents as they follow-up with students at the hospital (this is done in a very timely fashion).

* There is a “phone tree” managed by Residence Life staff where a variety of Student Life staff and Student Health are notified when campus police or Residence Life are aware of a transfer to the ER or hospital.

* In life-threatening situations, informing the family does take on a high priority.  There is usually a conversation between Student Health, Student Services, the Chaplain’s office, and the emergency room physician about the nature of the problem and the best way to provide information to parents.  These conversations have always happened in these situations and are handled on a case-by-case basis based upon the particular circumstances.

One general exception to the above is that Student Health does not notify parents if students are referred to the emergency room for “routine” care for alcohol intoxication.  “Routine” means the student not in a life threatening situation, but they do need care beyond the scope of Student Health (a higher level of monitoring as they recover from the alcohol).  In cases of life-threatening situations related to alcohol (or other drug) use, the statement above would apply.

If my student needs to go to the hospital, does Student Health transport them there?
If your student requires an ambulance for emergency transportation, Student Health will call one.  If the issue is not an emergency requiring an ambulance, Wake Forest has a contract with a local cab company that will pick up students from Student Health and will take them to either hospital in town for a flat rate of $15 each way.  The student has to physically go to Student Health to be picked up by the cab service and get vouchers for the ride to/from the hospital.  The voucher is charged to the student’s financial account on campus; he or she does not have to have money or a credit card on his/her person.  This cab service is also available to take students to certain medical appointments off campus (for example: specialists, imaging centers, or to the CVS pharmacy on North Point Blvd if needed).   Students can always arrange to have a friend transport them or can call their own cab if they prefer.

Is Student Health Service open during school breaks (such as fall break, spring break, etc.)?
Student Health Service posts its schedule on its web page before most breaks.  Student Health also lists off-campus health provider options when they are closed.

What vaccinations are required for students?
The Student Health Service page lists required vaccinations as well as optional-but-recommended vaccinations.  There is an FAQ about the required medical form for new students hat helps answer frequently asked questions.

Are influenza and other vaccinations available?
The Student Health Service has historically provided influenza vaccine clinics in the fall.  The news section of the Parents’ Page or the Student Health Service web site will have information once it is available.

If my student is ill with mononucleosis (“mono”), what should he or she do?
The Student Health Service provided the following information/recommendations about mono.

What should I know about how students are prescribed antibiotics if they are sick?
The Student Health Service has provided the following guidelines for parents, in conjunction with the Centers for Disease Control’s official information.

Is health insurance required for my student?
Wake Forest, like almost all private colleges and universities, will require health insurance for all full-time students. Students must either enroll in the new program or request to waive enrollment if they carry insurance meeting the minimum criteria set by Wake Forest. Students will be automatically enrolled into the Student Blue insurance program unless they complete the insurance waiver by the posted deadline.

Is there a tuition insurance program in case my student has medical or emotional issues that would cause him to need to withdraw?
An unexpected withdrawal due to sickness or injury can mean significant financial consequences for families. Wake Forest offers an elective tuition insurance plan through A.W.G. Dewar, Inc. that will help minimize financial loss if a student suffers a serious illness or accident and must withdraw before the end of a semester.  Parents should strongly consider this option, as there are some unfortunate cases each year where a student must withdraw for an unexpected illness mid-semester.

What should my student know about alcohol?
WFU CHOICES (Cultivating Healthier Opinions In Challenging Everyday Situations) is the Wake Forest University substance abuse prevention program.  The mission of  WFU CHOICES is to gain a greater understanding of the dynamics of our community, provide education and resources to individuals and groups, and empower students to make healthy choices. WFU CHOICES goal is to provide accurate information to students, support healthy and responsible choices, increase protective factors, and decrease risk behaviors fostering a safe environment for students to succeed in all aspects of their university experience. WFU CHOICES services: workshops/trainings, alcohol and other drug individual assessments and brief counseling, campus wide programming, consultation to students, faculty, and staff with regards to alcohol and other drug concerns, and referrals to community support services.  VIsit the WFU CHOICES web page.  There is also a Party Smart web site, which serves as a central resource for issues related to party management, social life programming, safety tips and issues in our local community. Whether your student has questions related to hosting a party or needs to know how to help a friend who has consumed too much, there are tips available.  The 2014 Parents’ Orientation program about Alcohol is available online.

Who do I contact if I am concerned about my child’s mental health?
The University Counseling Center is available for students who would like individual counseling, group support or career counseling. If you believe your child would benefit from counseling, encourage him or her to seek help.  NOTE:  The 24-hour contact number for parents or families is the University Police number, 336.758.5591 (non emergency) or 336.758.5911 (emergency). They can get in touch with the on-call duty staff 24-hours/day.

Information about students’ and parents’ transition to college is available from the 2014 Orientation program “Just for Parents: Helping with the Transition to College and Beyond.”

What does the University Counseling Center do, and what does the experience look like for student clients?
The Daily Deac parents blog sat down with Dr. James Raper, Director of the Counseling Center, for a two-part interview describing the client counseling experience.  See Part I (making the appointment and the intitial counseling appointment) and Part II (subsequent appointments and frequently asked questions).

Who do I contact for information on disability or mobility services?
The Learning Assistance Center provides support for students with disabilities.  These include learning disabilities as well as physical or mobility issues, including temporary mobility issues due to injury.

Housing and Campus Life

Is on campus housing guaranteed for students for all four years?
Wake Forest is one of the few universities in the country that guarantees housing for eight semesters (for students in good standing). Students are required to live on campus for three years in campus housing unless they live with their parent or guardian in the Winston-Salem area.

Can first-year (freshmen) students choose their own roommate?
We do not have a process whereby first-year students select their own roommates or building preferences.  We use the information each student provides on their housing agreement (the lifestyle questions) to make matches based on those.  Once students are matched on those questions, we then make a building assignment for the pair.   We believe this gives our students a unique opportunity to get to know others that they may not otherwise engage with, but share an array of commonalities with from a lifestyle/value perspective.  We have found this method to be extremely effective.

What if my first year student has a conflict with his/her roommate or wants to change rooms?
If there is a roommate conflict, the first step for the student would be to talk to his/her roommate and try to work it out.  Each first year student is encouraged to complete a roommate agreement worksheet, where both roommates sit down to talk about setting rules for the room.  Encourage your student to cover all sorts of issues – can I borrow your clothes? can I eat your food? what time is quiet time/study time? what time is lights out? what will our policy be about members of the opposite sex in our room?  By jointly setting those expectations – and renegotiating when there are issues – students can solve a lot of their issues on their own.  A student can also involve his/her RA as a mediator if that is easier, or if the student wants additional support.  A student can talk to his/her RA  about a potential room switch – that can happen if there are others who also want to switch (and there is availability).  Stress to your student to work with the RA early if the student needs support.

How can my student report an issue with his or her room?
To submit repair requests for your room, bathroom, apartment, or house, residents can call facilities and campus services directly at ext.  4255 (HALL) or 336.758.4255.  Maintenance crews work in and around the residence halls performing repair requests and preventative maintenance tasks between 9:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., Monday-Friday. After-hours maintenance and custodial crews are available to handle emergency or immediate issues in the residence halls. For those requests, call facilities and campus services at ext. 4255 (HALL) or 336.758.4255.

Typical issues that can be reported directly to facilities and campus services include: fan coil unit(s), ie, heat and air conditioning units not operating properly; lights not working; clogged bathroom drains or toilets; leaks; stuck windows; pest control; and inoperable locks. When calling facilities and campus services to submit a repair request, please be as detailed as possible in order for staff to analyze the problem fully.

Facilities and campus staff members do not clean individual student rooms, assist in room set-up or take down, or remove or store University furniture or personal property.

What is Yet-to-be-Assigned Status?
In the room selection process for the upcoming fall, some rising upperclass students are not able to select a room—either because we do not currently have space or they do not have a roommate to fill the room to capacity.  In these cases, students may sign up for the Yet-to-be-Assigned (YTBA) process.  These students then go through a similar on-line process in July, when they will choose their room for the fall. Through the YTBA process, students will also have the ability to view potential roommates before selecting a room.  We conduct this process during the summer to allow rooms to open up due to changes in students’ housing plans. The housing guarantee and the three-year residency requirement remain in effect.  All students who are required to/ guaranteed to live on-campus will be housed.

What is open during official breaks from school (spring break, Thanksgiving break, etc.)?
The Residence Life and Housing web site will post information about services available on breaks.  Dining services may be limited on campus,  so students should review the posted hours and plan accordingly to dine off campus or have food in their rooms/shared kitchens.

What should my student do before leaving for Winter or Summer Break?
Please see Residence Life and Housing’s information on breaks and closing procedures.

When and how will my current (non-freshman) student choose his residence hall and roommate?  
The Residence Life and Housing site has a section on Room Selection for current students that will be updated with information about room selection each spring.  Students should talk to their RAs if they have questions about the process or need more information.  NOTE: incoming first year students will be assigned to their residence hall and roommate; more information for enrolling Class of 2019 will be posted on the Housing section of the New Students website in May 2015.

Are there options for my student to ship his/her belongings home for summer 2015, or to store them in Winston-Salem?
Residence Life and Housing has listed options for shipping items home or storing them over the summer.  Mail Services is also available to ship boxes home for the summer.

If a student chooses to move off campus, what does he/she have to do?
Consult the University’s off campus housing page for information and requirements.

What size are the mattresses in the residence halls?
All of the residence hall mattresses at Wake Forest are made to fit “extra long” twin sheet sets, which can be purchased at many retailers.

Can students choose to bring a loft to elevate their beds?
Only lofts rented from the university’s official vendor will be approved for residence halls.  It is recommended that new students speak with their roommate before renting a loft.  See the Residence Hall Safety page for information about lofts.

What type of laundry facilities are available?
Laundry machines are located in each residence hall; please see the Residence Life and Housing web site has additional details.  In addition, Wake Wash, a student-run entrepreneurial venture, has provided door-to-door laundry and dry cleaning service to on-campus students.

Is there a linen service on campus to provide students with clean sheets and towels? There is no formal linen service.  However, Wake Wash, a student-run entrepreneurial venture, has provided door-to-door laundry and dry cleaning service to on-campus students.

Is there cable TV on campus?
Information about cable tv and multimedia is available on the Information Systems web site.

Is there telephone service on campus?
The Residence Life and Housing web site provides information about telephone service in the residence halls.  Many students elect to bring their own personal mobile phone.

What should my student know about the possibility of mold in the residence halls and how to report it?
Wake Forest strives year-round to make the student residential experience a good one and our commitment in that regard will remain strong. Our staff takes every report seriously.  We respond to every incoming message and investigate each situation. As part of our protocol, if mold is found, prompt steps are taken to remove it and provide information to the student that can help reduce the chances of its return.  The following article on the Parents’ Page web site provides information and a Q&A section.

What is the Healthy Living Community?
The Healthy Living Community is for students who desire a healthy living environment in which residents agree to maintain a substance–free environment and promote a healthy student lifestyle.  With the support of Residence Life and Housing, residents in the Healthy Living Community are empowered to collaborate with hall staff members and other residents to promote student health and wellness in the building and across campus.


Mail Services, Deliveries, and University Stores

How do I mail a letter to my student?
Letters and magazines should be addressed as:

Student Name
Campus Box _______ (XXXX = your student’s Campus Box #)
Wake Forest University
Winston-Salem, NC 27109

How do I mail a UPS or FedEx package to my student?
Address UPS or FedEx packages as follows:

Student Name
Campus Box XXXX (XXXX = your student’s Campus Box #)
1834 Wake Forest Road
Winston Salem, NC  27109

Where is the campus Post Office located?
The Post Office is on the 1st floor of the Benson University Center.

Do students keep the same P O Box all four years?
Yes, unless the student moves off campus for senior year.  If a student moves off campus, he/she is required to notify the Post Office so the box can be freed up for another student.  If he/she wishes to keep the same P O Box after moving off campus, the cost is $50 per year.

How can my student get his/her mail forwarded during the summer?
Mail Services puts a flyer in each student’s post office box with instructions on how to have the mail forwarded for the summer.  If your student did not see the flyer in his or her post office box, ask the student to see one of the mail services staff at the post office for assistance. 

How can I send flowers to my student’s residence hall?
All student floral deliveries must go through the Wake Forest Post Office on campus (because residence halls are locked to non-students).  When a delivery is made to the Post Office, the Post Office will email the student alerting him/her to the fact that they have a floral arrangement to pick up.  When parents order from a florist, they must provide the following address:

Student’s Name
Campus Box XXXX (XXXX = your student’s PO Box #)
1834 Wake Forest Road
Winston Salem, NC  27109

The student run web site (which offers discounts to local businesses for WFU students) has a listing of some florists online. Parents can also search for local florists on the Internet.

Are there options for my student to ship his/her belongings home for the summer, or to store them in Winston-Salem?
Residence Life and Housing typically publishes in April some options for shipping items home or storing them over the summer.

What is the difference between the Bookstore and the Deacon Shop?
University Stores is comprised of four separate retail locations and operations. The Bookstore is located on the Quad (Hearn Plaza) on the first floor of Taylor Hall. While typical college bookstores carry logo apparel and related merchandise, the Bookstore is more of a student living and gift store. Those logo items may be easily found at the Deacon Shop on Hearn Plaza and the Deacon Shop at Hanes Mall. Both stores carry a wide selection of Deacon merchandise for students, alumni, and fans. Textbooks, located beneath the Bookstore in Taylor Hall, offers new, used and rental and selected digital textbooks for student with an online ordering capability. More information on University Stores is online.


Is there a cake order and delivery service for students’ birthdays and other occasions?
The Campus Dining office provides a variety of gift baskets and cakes.

What if my student loses his/her Deacon One Card?
The Deacon One Card site has a listing of replacement costs.


Where can I park?
Visitors can park in any general parking lot on campus. Visitors should avoid reserved spaces, faculty/staff lots, fire lanes or other restricted area on campus. Frequent visitors should contact Parking and Transportation to register for a parking permit.

Where should my student park if leaving for an official break (winter break, spring break, etc.)?
Please see Residence Life and Housing’s information on closing the residence halls.  The web page about breaks typically has parking information for students leaving cars on campus during breaks.

Is there a campus shuttle?
The Ride the Wake web site shows the shuttle schedules.  There are shuttles between campus and satellite parking lots, as well as shuttles to popular apartment complexes.

Where can I find the Parking Rules and Regulations?
Parking Rules and Regulations can be found on the Parking and Transportation web site.

I received a citation. Can I appeal it?
Yes.  Information on how to appeal a citation can be found on the Parking and Transportation web site.


Safety/University Police/Notifications of Events and Emergencies

NOTE:  The 24-hour contact number for parents or families is the University Police number, 336.758.5591 (non emergency) or 336.758.5911 (emergency). They can get in touch with the on-call duty staff 24-hours/day.

How safe is campus?
We have a robust police department and campus is generally very safe.  However, there is no campus or city that can be guaranteed absolutely safe.  We ask our students to exercise good personal judgment and to be safe, as many issues can be prevented through good practices.  In addition, University Police helps ensure campus safety through a variety of ways:

  • We use vehicle, foot, and bike patrol operations. These patrols help in crime prevention and public relations; due to our close campus community, students, faculty and staff recognize campus officers and seek aid when needed.
  • Key card access buildings – such as residence halls – are locked 24 hours a day. Students have access to enter all residence halls between 7 a.m. and midnight through the use of their ID cards. However, only residents of that particular building/suite have access between midnight and 7 a.m.  There is a call box outside each residence hall for guests to use to call residents and gain access.
  • Blue light call boxes are placed throughout campus including parking lots and trails. Emergency and courtesy phone boxes are located on the outside of buildings and our residence halls are card access controlled.
  • A nighttime shuttle service runs on a regular schedule. Students may request a campus police escort during hours when the shuttle is not in operation.
  • University police assigns a Resource Officer to each residence hall and campus building as a liaison to students, faculty and staff in each building.

What is the campus crime rate?
Crime statistics are listed online.

How safe is Winston-Salem?
Winston-Salem crime statistics are available online.

What general safety information should my student know?
Parents and students alike should visit the Wake Ready web site, which covers safety issues.  Students should make wise decisions about their personal safety – keep their rooms locked, do not leave valuables unattended, use the buddy system.  There are some general safety guidelines and recommendations here.

How do campus safety notifications work?
Wake Alert is the University’s emergency notification program, providing students, faculty and staff with information and advisories via a number of communication channels, including the Wake Alert website, text messaging, an outdoor warning system, campus cable TV, e-mail, voice mail and a recorded message on the Wake Forest Weather Line.  Parents can check the main Wake Forest web site in the event of an emergency, as emergencies are posted on the main web page and will link to the Wake Alert web site.  Additional information about how Wake Alert works is available online.

What should my student know about building evacuations or how to stay safe in an emergency situation?
Prior to the start of school each year, we recommend that students and parents review the Wake Ready web site’s sections on building evacuations, what to do if told to “shelter in place” and how to stay safe abroad.  Periodically reviewing these pages will help students be prepared in the event of an emergency.

How can we be notified of an emergency and find out if our child is safe in case of an emergency?
Only students, faculty and staff are included in Wake Alert text and email notifications because it is imperative that the message go out as quickly as possible. If you add additional populations to the text/cell distribution list (such as parents, and often both parents have cell phones), it runs the risk of slowing down the notification process to our students who need to receive the message immediately.  Parents can check the main Wake Forest web site in the event of an emergency, as emergencies are posted on the main web page and will link to the Wake Alert web site.  The fastest way to check on the safety of your student is to contact him or her by cell phone or email.  Additional information about how Wake Alert works is available online.

What does Wake Forest do if there is a perceived threat to security?
In the event of a perceived threat to security, Wake Forest will quickly assess the situation, then begin alerting the campus and providing instructions and resource information. University Police works with Winston-Salem Police to provide manpower for patrols and investigations.  University Police is comprised of professionally trained police officers, security officers, communications officers, and support staff.

How will my student be notified if classes will be delayed or cancelled due to a weather-related event?
There are multiple channels for students to find out if classes will be delayed or cancelled.   Wake Forest will use the Wake Alert system, and will also email students and provide information to local media.

I have not heard from my son/daughter and I am concerned – what should I do?
In these situations, we can ask our Residence Life and Housing Staff to check on the student. You can contact University Police at 336-758-5911 and give the officer your student’s full name and residence hall room, University Police will contact Residence Life.  Residence Life staff will instruct the student to contact you as soon as possible.

How can my student make a report to University Police?
There are several methods (click on the linked titles to access more information):

Community Input Form

Silent Witness

Can a student report a suspected crime anonymously?
Silent Witness can be used to submit any information a student has regarding a suspicious person, any suspicious activity, or a crime that has occurred on or off campus.

Is the University Police a real police department?
Yes. The Department is comprised of professionally trained police officers, security officers, communications officers, and support staff. All sworn officers of the department completed the mandated, annual In-Service Training as required by the North Carolina Department of Justice Training and Standards. They possess full investigative and arrest authority on any property owned by the University and any contiguous streets or highways.

What are the police department hours of operation?
University Police is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year via the Police Communications line 336-758-5911.

Do the WFU police arrest students? Sworn officers do have the ability to arrest students (as well as faculty, staff or visitors).  An arrest could be made for such actions that endanger themselves or others.

What happens to a student who consumes alcohol underage? The legal drinking age in North Carolina is 21.  The University’s alcohol policies are outlined in the Student Handbook. There is an alternative judicial process for medical situations; for specifics see the handbook.

Transportation and Travel

Can new students bring cars to campus?
Yes. First-year students park in a designated lot off campus; shuttle service is provided. Students who choose not to have cars on campus may enroll in the Zipcar program. Any Wake Forest student who is at least 18 years old is eligible to join the Zipcar car sharing program. Zipcars are an ideal solution for students who choose not bring a vehicle to campus. Zipcar’s cutting edge technology allows students to reserve online, or on their mobile device, 24/7. Low hourly and daily rates include gas, insurance, and 180 miles per day.

Will my child need a car to get around campus?
No. Wake Forest is a walking campus and all academic buildings and residence halls are easily reached on foot. A free shuttle service is provided on a regular schedule. There is also a free shuttle service to downtown Winston-Salem on Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights.  Students may also enroll in the Zipcar program. Any Wake Forest student who is at least 18 years old is eligible to join the Zipcar car sharing program. Zipcar’s cutting edge technology allows students to reserve online, or on their mobile device, 24/7. Low hourly and daily rates include gas, insurance, and 180 miles per day.

Has Wake Forest considered a shared bike program for students to use on campus?
Yes.  Many colleges have a bank of bikes that are stored in shared locations and can be borrowed by any student and ridden to other locations on campus (and parked in a shared lot).  Wake Forest has done a number of demand surveys and at this time, while students think this is a good idea, they report that they would be unlikely to use such a service.  Read more.

How can I ship my student’s car to campus?
Please call 336.758.PARK (7275) if you have questions about shipping a car to campus.

Who should my student notify if he/she is delayed getting to campus following an official University break (like winter break, spring break, etc.)
If your student is having travel difficulties (for example due to winter storms and flight delays) and will not be back on campus for classes, students should contact their professors directly to let them know of their delay.  Students should also contact the Office of Academic Advising at

What are the gatehouse hours of operation? Security officers staff the West and East gate houses from 10:00 p.m.until 6:00 a.m.

Is there a “ride board” for students seeking rides – either locally or to go home during breaks?
The Office of Sustainability has introduced the Zimride Ride Sharing Community.  This is a service open to members of the Wake Forest community (students, faculty, and staff).  Parking Management is also working with Break Shuttle, which is a motor coach service to select cities during some academic breaks.  See the Thanksgiving 2014 Break Shuttle information.

Where can I find out which airport(s) to use and to see driving directions?
The Visiting Campus page has airport information as well as driving directions and GPS coordinates.  Parents and families should be aware that the closest airport is Greensboro (Piedmont Triad International).  While you may sometimes get better airfare deals by flying your student into Charlotte or Raleigh, you must factor in the price of ground transportation 80+ miles away from campus; sometimes it is more economical overall to fly into Greensboro if you need to provide ground transportation for your student.

Is there an airport shuttle service?
Shuttle service to major regional airports is available. Holiday travel shuttles operate on a regular schedule.  Parking Management is also working with Break Shuttle, which is a motor coach service to select cities during some academic breaks.

Is there any other car service available for students?
ABC Door 2 Door Transportation provides local car service and transportation to regional airports. Contact ABC Door 2 Door Transportation for more information or a quote at 336.721.9921/336.473.3892 or

If your question has not been answered here…

email the Office of Parent Programs at with your question so we may assist you