Terri LeGrand (JD '93), Associate Director, Systems and Compliance, Student Financial AidAs we get ready to close out for our own Winter Break, thought it would be fun to feature another Meet a Deac. Pleased to introduce you to Terri LeGrand (JD ’93), Associate Director, Systems and Compliance, Student Financial Aid.

So, Terri, your title is long – Associate Director, Systems and Compliance, Student Financial Aid. Translate that for me into what your role is on campus.
My biggest responsibility is to make sure that Wake Forest is following all of the numerous complex rules so that we can continue to participate in the federal aid programs that are available to us, which means we will have more resources available for students. I also work hard to make our complicated processes more efficient through systems improvements, so that our staff can spend more time with students and families.

You’re a graduate of the Wake Forest School of Law, having gotten your JD degree in 1993. What are some of your memories of the Wake law experience?
My favorite memories of attending Wake Law are about the camaraderie developed with my classmates during first year. We worked hard, but we also had a lot of fun.

You get to see a lot of students through your work, I imagine. What are your impressions of the Wake students of today?
The Wake students I work with in the Student Financial Aid office are so happy to be here and appreciative of the opportunity to obtain a world class education; many of them could not afford to be here without financial aid. I especially enjoy working with the kids from Parkland High School here in Winston-Salem because my daughter is currently in the IB (International Baccalaureate) program there.

What are some of the best parts of your job?
I love that my job is to help kids to afford to go to college because I value education so highly. I enjoy my colleagues, who share my passion for higher education access. I appreciate the intellectual stimulation offered here through the many and varied professional development opportunities. And I enjoy taking walks around the beautiful campus to break up my day.

I agree completely on the perk of having this beautiful campus to walk around – do you have a favorite place on campus?
I love the path between Wake Forest and Reynolda Village. I walk there often.

That walk is one of my favorites, too! What advice would you give to students, and to parents and families?
To students I would say read your emails from the Student Financial Aid office. Make sure you understand your financial aid award. Ask questions when you don’t understand. Only borrow what you absolutely have to borrow. Work hard to finish so that you do not accumulate debt without a degree to show for it. And to parents and families I would reiterate the notion of making sure your kids are reading their emails from the Student Financial Aid office 🙂

Ready for the what I like to call the Lightning Round – or bonus questions? Let’s go!

What book are you reading now?
Democracy in Chains by Nancy MacLean.

What music are you listening to lately?
Christmas music, I am a bit ashamed to admit.

No shame in that from me – I love Christmas music too. 

Pride and Prejudice, 1995 versionFavorite movie(s)?
Oh, so many. Pride and Prejudice (1995), Sense and Sensibility, Shawshank Redemption, anything with Jimmy Stewart, especially the Alfred Jimmy Stewart and Cary GrantHitchcock films, all Cary Grant movies, etc.

Websites you frequent?
Facebook
New York Times
Amazon

Guilty pleasure?
Gilmore GirlsWatching Gilmore Girls with my daughter.

Tell me something about you that everyone might not know.
I studied Russian in college and wanted to be a spy, but then the Cold War ended.

Bonus question – what do you wish I had asked but didn’t?
What am I doing now? Running for the NC House! terrilegrand.org