I’m headed to Raleigh tonight for the Wake Will event there – and I hope to meet a lot of our Raleigh area parents!  I will be looking for people with P’ years on their nametags, but you can look for me too (I’m sporting a black skirt and a black and white top with pink flower at the neck).

Because I am hitting the road, today’s Daily Deac will be brief.  There is a fantastic article on our arguably most-beloved professor and provost emeritus, Ed Wilson (’43).  Every school has a legend, and for generations of Wake Foresters, Dr. Wilson was and remains The One And Only.  Our Wake Forest Magazine staff interviewed him recently, and it is a fun read; I found his ‘who would you invite to dinner’ answer fascinating.

Also wanted to draw your Deacs attention to an event the Office of Wellbeing is promoting for this weekend:

burn it up 2016The Burn It Up” Spring Dance Showcase –  Come support our wonderful dance groups on campus as they take on the stage Sunday night at 5 pm in Brendle Recital Hall, Scales Fine Arts Center! $5 tickets can be purchased at burnitup.eventbrite.com.  All proceeds will benefit the Bethesda Center!

Tomorrow night there is a Secrest Artist Series event, the Orlando Consort:

English early-music vocal ensemble The Orlando Consort create a living soundtrack to one of the classics of the silent cinema—Danish director Carl Dreyer’s The Passion of Joan of Arc. A stunning new evening of film and music that blends the riveting last days of Joan of Arc with French, Burgundian, and British vocal music from the time of Joan.

Finally, an article about college students, the self, expectations, and Chinese philosophy.  From the Wall St. Journal, the article is entitled “The College of Chinese Wisdom” by Michael Puett and Christine Gross-Loh.  It’s tagline reads “Telling young people to discover their true selves causes confusion and anxiety. Better to follow Confucius, who knew that our identities are in constant flux.”  It’s not a superlong read, but it makes some interesting points.  Food for thought if you feel like chewing on it.

— by Betsy Chapman