Like many of your students (I suspect), I am getting started a little early on the Thanksgiving holiday and am looking forward to some time off with family and friends.

Because it is the season of Thankfulness, I wanted to share a few of the things I am thankful for.

I am thankful to be able to write the Daily Deac for you every day.  It warms my heart tremendously when I get an email from one of you saying that I help connect you to your student’s experience, or that something I said resonated with you, or helped you or your Deac.  I wish I could meet all of our readers and thank you in person.  You enable me to get to do something I love.

I am grateful for the opportunity to get to know your sons and daughters.  I don’t get to meet nearly enough of them, but the ones I do are interesting, inspiring, passionate, committed.  Sometimes they are also lost, or scared, or need a sympathetic ear, and its an honor to help them in those times too.

I am grateful for our faculty, staff, and librarians – who I see give to your students in countless ways that you might never see.  Whether it is answering an email late at night, or making time for an extra appointment, or just offering a kind word, I see evidence of truly good, kind, people everywhere on campus.  And that makes this a great place to work.

I am grateful for a rolled Quad.  It means something good has happened, and we all get to celebrate it together.

I am grateful that when times are bad, when we are hurting, we circle the wagons and take care of each other.

I am grateful to work on a campus filled with beauty.  Beauty of the outdoors, beauty of the artwork, beauty of the architecture.

I am grateful for the diversity of people, talent, and life experiences on this campus.  I have learned things from people different from me that have impacted me in profound ways.

I am grateful we believe in Pro Humanitate.  May we all leave this world a little better than we found it.

I am grateful that every time I look at Wait Chapel, I can remember getting married there.

And I am grateful for my Wake Forest friends from college, now scattered all over the US, but who I love just as much as when we were here together.

So thank you, Deac families and readers, for the very important role you play in my Wake Forest experience.

I plan to be back to blogging on Tuesday, December 1st.  Until then, I wish you and yours a very happy Thanksgiving.

— by Betsy Chapman