Parents and families, welcome back to campus for Family Weekend! We hope you have a wonderful time with your students and his or her new friends.
Here’s a short list of potential things you might want to do or try while you are in town.
- Visit Reynolda House, Museum of American Art, which has one of the finest collections of art in the Southeast, and is a historic home as well. If you don’t make it to the house, at least stroll through the gardens.
- The other main art attraction in Reynolda Village is the START Gallery, which features student art. It is a great destination – so go and show your support and appreciation for student art!
- Also in Reynolda Village are a lot of nice shops, as well as good places to eat. Simply Yummy is a combination coffee house and restaurant (try their “Down East” sandwich – grilled pimento cheese! – and one of their signature sides is carrot slices with thai peanut sauce). Village Tavern is famous for their homemade chips with ranch dressing. Village Soda Shop is an old timey ice cream place – go for ice cream or homemade lemonade or orangeade, their specialties.
- While your student is still asleep in the morning, grab a Starbucks in the Z. Smith Reynolds Library. Starbucks is one of the most popular destinations on campus. Sit in the loft area on the comfy chairs.
- If you are looking for a historic 0uting, try either Old Salem or Bethabara Park.
- If you like arty, hard-to-find movies and you don’t have an indie theatre in your hometown, try a/perture theatre downtown. It shows a wide collection of not-quite-mainstream movies.
- Support our sports teams – we have soccer, football, and volleyball games at home (see the calendar for details) – and wear your black and gold!
Ask your student and his or her friends for other recommendations. Above all, enjoy your weekend, have a great time on campus, and enjoy our beautiful city.